West Dulwich Forum

downsouth

Hi guys, I am in West Dulwich and we seem to be left out of the whole forum thing what with the East Dulwich Forum and the Norwood Forums. So I have started my own and just wanted to raise its profile as so far there is no one there! If any of you are in West Dulwich or are interested in goings on please feel free to join or pass on to others.

http://westdulwich.myfastforum.org

Thanks

West Dulwich Forum

Why don't you all just join this one, I live in Sydenham (though from ED I hasten to add), and there are peeps on here from Camberwell *shudders* and Peckham.

Plus, West Dulwich's own Dulwichmum is a major player on here...

That said, hope the forum goes well, you're coming on here and being honest about it, which is more than can be said for the bloke who tried starting a rival forum to this.

I note that the proposed West Dulwich forum is liberally sprinkled with cost-per-click ads - so you'll forgive me for being once more cynical?

Isn't this like coming on an open invite to someone else's party and then inviting them around yours so you can make money off the back of them? Whilst I can see you're charming, it's both insulting to your host and exploiting your proposed guests.

It's also slightly nonsensical to come onto an ED forum and asking them to talk about WD issues? You can see from the threads that the EDF is predominantly about local issues and local people. Your best bet to source local customers is to find creative ways of building up local word of mouth and reaching people making enquiries about WD. Try investing some money in search engines.

It's also important to deliver something of value that doesn't already exist?

As a word of advice, this ain't no get-rich-quick scheme. Those ads are unlikely to cover your serving costs, and they're off-putting for users. That's why they're not on this forum.

It's a long term investment, the EDF really had very few users for the first nine months.

It may well be that your motives are purely altruistic, and if that's the case please ignore the next paragraph.

True local forums such as this one are generated by generous local people putting their hearts and wallets into sustaining a popular local resource. That's why it's so disappointing when incomers try and parasitise their efforts and generosity in order to line their own pockets. I believe it's called carpet-bagging, and it's just not nice - one's mum would be ashamed.

Hi guys thanks for the feedback! Although I wasn't registered previously I do often read these forums as Lordship Lane and North Cross Road are where I do the bulk of my shopping (with the exception of Sainsburys Dog Kennel Hill/CP/Sydenham) and spend leisure time. So I do keep a keen interest. I do intend to contribute here but my point was that there are no issues ever mentioned affecting West Dulwich. We do have our very own unique issues and then some shared ones but we are so near yet so far.

As I said I only 'just' set this up. This was the first place along with the Norwood forum that I thought of promoting it. I used one of the first free applications I could find. Thank you for letting me know that the ads are off putting. I certainly won't be making any money from this as it is hosted by a third party operator which I came across on the web. After hearing what some of you have said I will perhaps make some leaflets and put up posters in the area as I think it is something worth doing.

I know it will take some time to generate a community but I am in no way seeking to 'poach' anyone from here. If you are from West Dulwich or have an interest in the area it would be a good place to discuss our local issues i.e. south circular, lack of decent primary and secondary schools, new developments i.e. The Rosendale, The Mansion gastro pubs, Jo partdige hair dresser recently opened, The Dairy site behind the Tesco metro on Croxted Road, the recent campaign to secure a youth site for local children in Vale Street, the siting of the regional rubbish truck depot from Herne Hill - to make way for a new school - to Vale Street which was vigourously opposed by locals but rail roaded though by the council anyway, the proposed increase in train frequencies from West Dulwich train station once the Eurostar is re-routed to St Pancras, issues in nearby areas (Tulse Hill and Crown Point) that received national attention. I could go on and on but currently we don't have a unified place to talk about these things and they are not things that on the whole are relevant to this forum. So in answer to one poster I am being altruistic beyond wanting to have some dialogue being sustained for the local area.

I apologise if any one felt that I was being ungracious or devious in coming on here. You will no doubt see my views on here from time to time (perhaps not as frequently as Dulwichmum) so I will leave it until then.

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your views.

I think you're being a bit hard on him. I'm sure this person has looked into expenses versus revenue and realises it won't really be a money making venture.

Many people are members of more than one forum and it won't detract from this one which has new members joining all the time. West Dulwich can get in on the forum act and there's really no reason not to mention it on here once. I expect our admin can pop onto that forum when it's up and running and publicise this one.

Not that much to discuss over there though is there? DM?

obviously I was writing this while the previous posting came on.

I must be honest, I think all of the action is on/off Lordship Lane. I am happy to consider the issues raised in this forum as I feel they usually have relevance to my life.

Lovely Downsouth, I feel really strongly that if you raised any of the issues you talk about above - they would be graciously received and discussed on this forum. No-one has ever been less than gracious to me, and I can be really arsey sometimes! Look at the thread on Dangerous Dogs - I could be given a good slap for that - I live in SE21 afterall.

I wish good luck to your new forum, but I prefer the lively mix on our East Dulwich Forum - I really doubt that another local forum could be so popular. I love these guys (sniff...) and I shall tell anyone who will listen.

It is over by Dulwich College, off the South Circular. We have the shops on Croxted Road/Park Hall Road (you know - Cafe Rouge, Majestic Wines (hic... they deliver great crates of vino!!!) Threshers, Mini nasty looking Tesco, The Dulwich Trader, Porcini, super toy shop Cheeky Monkey, Dulwich Book Shop, Jo Partridge, The Alleyns Head - nice for a cold drink and a sit outside under an umbrella) and capacious mansions on Alleyn Road/Park and College Road - clearly! Watch out for peacocks... It is lovely over here - not cosmopolitan like East Dulwich, it is quiet. And you can park without having the mirror clipped off your car. 4X4 territory... Mic would hate it here - there are no dangerous dogs...

DM - you forgot to mention the yet to be prettied Rosendale Road parade of shops which has The Rosendale www.therosendale.co.uk, Oddbins and Indigo indian restaurant as well as more usual fare - newsagents, laundrette, dry cleaners, chemist etc... Word on the street is there is a lot more on the way on that particular stretch.

Dear Downsouth,

Indeed - Rosendale Road, isn't that in Norwood/Lambeth - the location of choice for a stabbing/mugging/shooting. If you mention a highlight of that shopping parade as being the laundrette dear heart - I feel you are grasping at straws. Give me East Dulwich any day of the week. I have found that lovely Indigo deliver and the strange chemist is never ever open.

Lovely CitizenEd, ah yes, Kingsdale - the local state school with two full-time beat officers! OHMYGOD! I shall visit the estate agents of East Dulwich tomorrow - I just find it incredibly difficult to park my enormous car over there... and are there any gardens big enough to accommodate my peacocks?

DM - yes and no. Most of West Dulwich is in Lambeth - Croxted Road being the dividing line between Southwark and Lambeth - but no part of Rosendale Road is in Norwood. A small part of it is in Herne Hill (SE24) but the majority of it is SE21. Not clutching at straws just trying to paint a picture for most folk who don't seem familiar with the area at all. I'd already mentioned the 'attractions'.

Each to theior own, i wasn't trying to set a competition between which areas people preferred. If you like East Dulwich there is always Calton Avenue or Turney Road which would suit your capacious requirements. For me both areas are good and have their own features.

Re Kingsdale - no it's not the best but can you tell me of any decent state schools in Southwark or Lambeth?

blimey, how big can an east dulwich ego get? hang around on here downsouth and find out ... it's not always pretty.

good luck to you, the forum sounds like a great idea and it sounds like there are loads of issues round your manor that could do with real communication amongst residents. may well beat the boring thump of 'oh no, ED is too middle class, not middle class enough' 'oh no estate agents' 'oh no 3 wheeler buggy' '?11 sandwiches (yes ?11) in local tea shop' blah blah ;) i see that one of the most heavy weight local issues is currently new traffic lights of forest hill, ain't life sweet.

Bit of a cynical post Mamafeelgood, no?

These things do get (over) discussed but it ain't all (as you well KNOW) and as you are a pretty-much-seasoned-veteran on here now you

a) know better

b) can always add more content yourself

As for the "how big can an ED ego get"? - You do "get" the Dulwichmum thing by now I take it?

respectfully yours

etc etc

I like Mamafeelgoods posts - just think that one missed the mark

When you say "the other side" mlteenie, the other side of what? Tis you who mentions divisionist and then asks what's with the competition...?

Having re-read the thread the only real sense of east v west dulwich is entirely tongue in cheek. Ok - in fairness one person confessed to being cynical (hi Huguenot!) - but then he was born that way. And in light of another recent thread about an ENTIRELY cynical forum starting up (the SE"" one) that may be justified... maybe

But I think downsouth is genuine enough and wish him/her the best - no division there

well, I don't think it is tongue in cheek, and the divisionist issue is the whole east versus west thing. Okay there is a lot more going on in east dulwich, but there is a community in west dulwich and if someone wants to start a forum reflecting that, so what?

The comments that have been posted here give the impression that it would be disloyal to this forum to also post on the WDF. I think that comes across as competitive and divisionist.

alter ego going on here.