Anyone been to La Maddalena, Sardinia?

womanofdulwich

Lucky us have been offered free use of a villa here- but with 2 teenage boys not sure what actually "is happening". All lovely beaches but lots of travel blurb about "unspoilt" might mean boring to some.If any one has been I would appreciate some feedback on whether a week would be the maximum of if we could spin it out for longer?( especially as free).

Thanks

A group of us went there in 2005. It's a beautiful island and yes it's *unspoilt*. If your sons are into snorkelling, scuba, walking etc then they'll love it, otherwise there's little else to do.

We found a car was necessary to get around the island but I assume that you'll have one to get there anyway.

The restaurants were ok, but somewhat disappointing /nothing special so we did most of our own cooking after a day or 2.

No real nightlife to talk of apart from walking around town, visiting a few bars and watching the natives strut their stuff and trying to impress the opposite sex.

I remember there was a heavy metal night which seemed to be advertised everywhere in town and was the only 'event' as such.

Also bear in mind that there's a large US Naval base on the island and as a result lots of Navy Brats around the town on certain nights. It was a little bit like Spring Break but with fewer exposed breasts.

Not a reason to stay away but something to consider.

(edit - wiki tells me the base officially closed in 2008)

Also worth a visit to the neighbouring island of Caprera which has some lovely beaches and a stone museum or something equally dull- you can drive there across a little viaduct.

If you've got free accommodation then definitely worth it for relaxation and beaches. I would certainly not rule out going back.

(edited for facts, clarity and correction of iphone mistakes)