Apple Mac - Website Advice

Marmora Man

In order to share my "wormery" development (earlier thread) I thought I'd establish a website with pictures - but interpreting the Apple Mac advice / instructions on how to do this has proved difficult. I'm IT literate but not, always, IT competent.

Can anyone advise me of a good book or a local advisor that could help me. Once shown the way I'll probably be OK - it's my first faltering steps I need help with.

"access to iWeb"..? I think this might be the source of the confusion.

iWeb is an application program which makes it a cinch for anyone to create their own websites. It comes as part of a package called iLife (which also includes iPhoto, iDVD etc). It's often bundled free with new Macs, if not it costs around ?60, I think. Maybe you even get it free if you subscribe to .mac.

.mac gives you (amongst other things) some server space to upload your website to once it's been created. Apple have made it so that iWeb and .mac work together very easily.

So you've made your website in iWeb, and then once you're happy with it, you (literally) click one button and it uploads your site to your .mac server space, and hey presto - you're on the world wide web.

And iWeb really is very, very easy to use - I promise! It even comes with various templates with photos and text boxes so you can use the way it's laid out and just put your own text and photos in. Or you can lay it out how you want to. There's a tutorial included to show you the way.

So first step is to see if you have the package iLife (and therefore iWeb) on your computer already..

Bob,

Thanks. I started to do this - produced a starter for 10 website on iWeb, then hit the install button - this prompted me to enter registration details - did that, name and password were verified and then - nothing. It may be that the website has been created but I cannot locate it? If it has I also need some guidance on how to find it, edit it and direct others to it.

As I said at the beginning - a good book "idiot's guide" type style would be a help.

Cheers

Ian / MM

ooer..

I'm a bit of a website dunderhead myself heh heh. But I made one in iWeb, and uploaded it to a non-.mac server ok. The advantage of the .mac account is that (so I'm told!) it's supposed to make the uploading bit totally foolproof. All you have to do is click 'publish to a .mac account' whenever you've finished in iWeb and that's that.

It kinda sounds like you've done everything right - except maybe you just can't find the site you've uploaded? Do you know what the address for your website is? (This would have been supplied with your .mac account). Probably something like:

http://homepage.mac.com/marmoraman

Editing the site is easy.. just make any further changes in iWeb and then, as before, click 'publish to a .mac account' and it will update everything for you.