Oglander Pub

carlito

The Land is for sale : Located on Oglander Road, this de-licensed pub has planning permission to be converted into seven substantial living spaces, comprising four two bedroomed flats, one three bedroomed flat, a one bedroomed flat and a studio.The lands is going for ?1,200,000

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What's the problem converting it into flats?

> Apparently it wasn't viable as a pub...

We might have to accept harsh financial realities, but that doesn't mean we need to celebrate them. So many pubs in London are being lost and personally I find it sad.

Often it is not that a pub is no longer viable, it's just that flats are more profitable. It is fairly easy to turn a quick buck, chopping up a historic pub for flats. But it's difficult to reverse the trend when markets change.

Government is here to act in a regulatory role, taking into account the character and history of an area, the public interest (both now and in the future) and consider the 'bigger picture'. A property developer isn't (and shouldn't) be expected to think about any of this, which is why the Council's role is so important.

Having said all this, I don't know this specific case intimately, so I guess I might be off the mark. I still find it sad though....

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Often it is not that a pub is no longer viable,

> it's just that flats are more profitable. It is

> fairly easy to turn a quick buck, chopping up a

> historic pub for flats. But it's difficult to

> reverse the trend when markets change.

It has been shut for ages. When it was open, nobody went there. It's not a case of it being less profitable than flats, it's a case of it not making any money at all.

Yes I guess it is sad that pubs are being lost, but I don't think it really applies round here. There is a good variety of pubs and bars within easy walking distance.

If the government refused permission to turn it into flats, we'd just have an empty pub on the corner. I'd prefer the building to be put to good use and looked after.

• 4 years later...

Would be great to have a pub here now - would act as s stopping off point between ED and Bellenden Road.

Problem is, the council always approve change of use based on what's viable at any given point in time - and so invariably amenity levels are frozen at the lowest point in an area's economic cycle.