Robert Elms

steveo

Good grief, it's not that difficult. On his show, he was asking if social networking sites/forums helped/hindered the formation of local communities. I wanted to phone in extolling the virtues of this forum but I hadn't time.

And he likes my book so I like him

I feel the same way about Elms, hes been doing the same show every day for what seems like an eternity now. I always notice that theres never any crossover banter between The Candyman and Uncle Nostalgia during their shows. Old emnity anyone?

bon3yard Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I feel the same way about Elms, hes been doing the

> same show every day for what seems like an

> eternity now. I always notice that theres never

> any crossover banter between The Candyman and

> Uncle Nostalgia during their shows. Old emnity

> anyone?

I'd reckon there is. The Candyman, on his breakfast show would remark along the lines of 'perhaps that might be a subject for the Robert Elms show' when a topic got what he thought might be a little 'over Londonish'.

I think DB is a genius of radio and Elms is a hard worker. I like Elms, he works hard at what he does, I think his skill is in surrounding himself with interesting people.

And this is despite the fact that I encountered himself and Sade, while working in Jones in the King's Road in the 1980's.

She was charm itself, and complimented me on my shirt (purchased from my chums Chris and Mick at Rock-A-Cha in Ken market), I'm not saying she fancied me, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility either.

It's fair to say I was quite the 'hottie' at the time.

He was a grumpy bastard who hustled the lovely Miss Adu out of the shop.

I assume he was having a bad day, and I have borne him not an ounce of ill-will on the matter in the ensuing years.

Even to the point of actively promoting his Mott The Hoople 'four-fer' on this very forum.

If there was ever a hatchet, consider it buried, Bob.

Yes, see Steve, I read it that there was a great thing about social networking on t'radio (apologies, been reading too much Larkin, and, well, HonaB ) except you were too busy social networking to call t'radio.

Ne'er mind - I hear Robert Elms likes your book, and I'm going to start on't, just as soon as I've finished t'Larkin.

Edited because a B next to some brackets makes for a smilie face apparently, and I don't half hate them

I used to listen to Robert Elms sometimes , but he used to go on and on and on about not liking the Beatles and that he would never play the beatles on his show , he used to make a point of going on about it .... I used to think , so .. you don't like the beatles just shut up stoooooopid cockney nit

I'm not sure if I would listen to Elms so much if he wasn't on directly before the Radio God that is Danny Baker*. His music taste is sometimes spot on more often syrupy and woeful (for my liking anyway) but I love his London features and the one time I met him he seemed decent and engaged. And he looks well for his age

Although the current 3-5pm show on BBC london by Baker is comparatively poor compared to the breakfast show he hosted on there for years (were we ever so lucky as to be treated as intelligent human beings by that station?)

His Sat morning show on 5 Live is a joy from start to finish however

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> Seconds after I typed that, Elms played

>

> this

>

> just to spite me

Ha ha! That's a bloody good version though Sean.

Written by your hero David Bowie, who also produced it, played sax on it, did backing vocals and the B-side was Watch That Man - also writted by Bowie. So, basically it's a David Bowie record with Lulu on lead vocals.

Well done Robert.

flapjackdavey Wrote:

> I used to listen to Robert Elms sometimes , but he

> used to go on and on and on about not liking the

> Beatles and that he would never play the beatles

> on his show , he used to make a point of going on

> about it .... I used to think , so .. you don't

> like the beatles just shut up stoooooopid cockney

> nit

Thats just it, he's a wannabe cockney, he would love to be one. I hate the way he say "I ate dogs" >:D< Git! If he can get attatched to "Dem girls" who got ripped to death by a fox, imagine how attatched he would get to said dog! Has anyone noticed the way the superb Candyman sometimes plays a Beatles track as the first on in his show? Dig at Elms me thinks:)) Having said that, I like the programme, hate the easy listening Mondays though, except for Listed Londoner, love that and am NOT a jazz lover, but hey ho, can't have it all!