Sharing broadband

Nero

I am very ignorant about computer-related stuff, and want to know the answer to whether there are any security/legal problems about my neighbour sharing my wi-fi. It seems he can use it and I was wondering whether I should ask him not to for any reason. Nero

It depends on whether he's downloading anything which 'operation ore' might be interested in. In which case they'll be knocking at your door. Let's hope not.

Other than that.. he's just restricting your bandwidth (when you're both online), thus slowing-down your access. If that's ok with you, then it doesn't really matter.

I did read some comical Daily Hell article talking about paedophiles who cruised the streets in their cars with their laptops, looking for free wi-fi to download stuff through so it couldn't be traced.. but quite frankly I had more realistic worries, such as remembering not to leave the iron on.

A friend of mine has a neighbour who is a complete arse and at one point tried to kick his dog.

One day my mate noticed said neighbour had unencrypted wi-fi on a netgear router, and hadn't changed the default

usr: admin

pwd: password

router log in.

He logged on, changed the router log in and encrypted the man's own signal effectively rendering his broadband totally useless.

He changed it back after feeling guilty for a week, but that's what you're setting yourself up for if you don't protect your signal.

*Bob* I explained it in an earlier thread somewhere.

But basically on your router configuration thingy you'll find a security tab, or wifi options or something.

There you can select which type, WEP is pretty standard and should suffice against anyone but a determined hacker.

Generate a 64 or 128 bit code, apply it to your router, then put that code into any objects in your house that receive the wireless signal.

Probably your PC (via the receiver's own configuration screen), maybe an XBox or Wii or media centre etc.

Simple really.

Hi Bob

The password is for the router only and you need to also set up an encrypted password that is used to access the wireless link as well.

Don't forget to make sure that your SSID name isn't broadcast as well... makes it harder for the casual user to access if they can't see your signal

You're all nerds! ;-)

Regards

EDKiwi

PS - Bob don't forget to enable MAC address security as well, and you really should use WPA2 instead of WEP or WPA as well as both are crackable within minutes by anyone with access to Google (however, at least that excludes your neighbour now that he has no internet access!). Your PC wireless card needs to support WPA2 though and so does your router.

Quaywe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You're all nerds! ;-)

>

> Regards

> EDKiwi

>

> PS - Bob don't forget to enable MAC address

> security as well, and you really should use WPA2

> instead of WEP or WPA as well as both are

> crackable within minutes by anyone with access to

> Google (however, at least that excludes your

> neighbour now that he has no internet access!).

> Your PC wireless card needs to support WPA2 though

> and so does your router.

Can I just say - Pot and Kettle here sir !!!

Also if you use a games machine (Wii, xbox or what ever) on the internet then it may not support WPA2 so be aware of that one