Outdoor Fitness machines in Dulwich Park

ImpetuousVrouw

I have never understood this fascination with gyms and fitness contraptions. I shall never set foot in a gym, who would want to work out in a room choc full of egotistical sweaty people, there to show off? It is not for everyone.

I tried that British Military Fitness, but just ended up with a broken nail and dog poo on my cashmere tracksuit, and as for the power plate I rented to use at home? Well, I spilled far too much Chablis. No, I sit here wearing my Slendertone belt, and it is all the exercise I need (sigh).

God only knows the sort of people that these machines will attract into the park. They will be up to no good and within sight of the children's play area too! Only this afternoon I saw an enormous, floppy haired, Guardian reader careering about on roller blades in very short cycling shorts, and he must have been at least fifty! You would never catch any of the super Dulwich dads I know, engaged in such antics. They are all still nursing their heads from Cheltenham or some other corporate rugby beano.

I swear that they must bus these people in from Lambeth.

I have seen them. Think the placement is very odd right next to the pavement. If you use them it will like being on a stage. At least the one in Peckham Rye are in their own little enclave.

The signs on the ones in Peckham Rye say they aren't for children so why do you let your kids use them ImpetuousVrouw?

One of the Peckham Rye park keeper guys said their ones are for kids from about 10 upwards, he said they are not meant for adults.

It's the little kids that are not really supposed to be on them because it can be a bit dangerous.

I was told that they were put next to the skate park to encourage older kids to get used to fitness type equipment.

Of course they are meant for adults and if you read the instructions on them most will say from 12 years ,this includes adults! its obvious that anybody,child or adult who are too small to use the equipment sensibly and safetly should not be allowed on them.These gyms were first introduced in China for the 'older' adult to be able to take gentle and safe exercise (and free! )