Charity fundraising ideas

mazza7103

I'm going to do the london triathlon in august. any one got any good fundraising ideas. i'll be doing it for NSPCC. i was thinking of a bake sale at work is easy enough. i dont work with nearly enough people to make a raffle work.

i was thinking of approaching local businesses but i'm not sure if they'd go for it.

any ideas? B)

Hows about...

SHIN KICKING ?

The medieval sport of shin-kicking lives on, each year people gather to compete at the Cotswold Olimpicks, a traditional county sports day first celebrated in 1612.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/assets_c/2009/06/shin-kicking-thumb-512x288-8354.jpg

I'd help you run it....honest

Really..

W**F

..had the KILJOYS not stepped in

The organisers of the Cooper's Hill Cheese Rolling and Wake regret to announce that the 2010 event has been cancelled.

The attendance at the event has far outgrown the location where it has traditionally been held for several hundred years: last year more than 15,000 people tried to attend (according to official estimates) which is more than three times the capacity of the site.

The organisers are working with the local Authorities and Police to control numbers which will enhance:

- crowd safety

- respect for the local community

- emergency vehicle access

- traffic flow on local and trunk roads

The event will be back, in a revised form, in 2011.

http://www.thecheesegig.com/images/products/gig03015.jpg

Anyway here's a MISS MUFFIT to be going on with.....

W**F

mazza7103 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm going to do the london triathlon in august.

> any one got any good fundraising ideas. i'll be

> doing it for NSPCC. i was thinking of a bake sale

> at work is easy enough. i dont work with nearly

> enough people to make a raffle work.

> i was thinking of approaching local businesses but

> i'm not sure if they'd go for it.

>

> any ideas? B)

hi mazza7103 - I have been toying with the idea of seeking interest for a scavenger hunt around ED to raise money for a (local) charity so maybe you could do this for yours?

It would simply involve signing up some interested local businesses to participate for the 'clues' that are set and obviously drum up enough support from local people to participate in teams (with the entry fee going to the charity).

Could be a nice, fun thing to do when the weather is warmer...

Is this the kind of thing you are thinking of?

• 1 year later...

Have you set up a JustGiving page? It's very easy, I am doing the Guys Tower abseil on Sat and I can recommend you do this as you can post the link out to friends/work colleagues/Facebook etc. Good luck!

mazza7103 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm going to do the london triathlon in august.

> any one got any good fundraising ideas. i'll be

> doing it for NSPCC. i was thinking of a bake sale

> at work is easy enough. i dont work with nearly

> enough people to make a raffle work.

> i was thinking of approaching local businesses but

> i'm not sure if they'd go for it.

>

> any ideas? B)

Mazza!

What a super idea!

PLH will support you 100%, and as its a triathlon maybe we should do something around your event?

BRUM, that will be on our list too. We have never heard of this charity and will slot it into one of our FREE events. A number of us will be outside the Deptford Fire Station for the London Marathon. Where are you based....?

McCabe

PLH

• 5 weeks later...

First of all, congrats on getting your group started! Taking the first steps of forming a group can always be a trying process... kudos for giving it a go!

One of the first things can really help getting started is finding ways to get organized early on. Coming up with the tools to manage your members, plan your events and get the word out about everything you do can be tricky.

I'd say the best way to get a jump on this: set up a group home page on a fundraising website. Many of them are free to use and can offer new groups amazing tools to organize, find new volunteers and raise awareness for a cause (regardless of whether you actually want to fundraise). Some require that you have non-profit status to form a group, but plenty others will give student groups, church groups and other groups without non-profit status some awesome ways to help get your group off the ground.

For example, one good site to help new groups is GroupSpaces (www.groupspaces.com). They offer plenty of tools to help get groups off the ground, including some event management functions that let you create events, as well as managing your members. And if you're interested in fundraising for your group eventually, they can link to your account and charge 2.5% of donations received (while some other sites charge as much as 5%).

Another good option would be Empowered.org (www.empowered.org). It is a bit newer than GroupSpaces and their platform is geared more towards social action, but are open to all small groups, regardless of non-profit status. Also, they offer plenty of solid tools to help new groups, and give groups the ability to create specific volunteer activities and events for each group (which GroupSpaces doesn't do). And if you ever were interested in fundraising, they offer specific fundraising campaigns (and charge 1.5% of donations) - nice if you ever go down that road.

There are some other sites worth looking into - MeetUp is another one that helps groups, but doesn't offer as many tools as the other two I mentioned. Anyways, I really think that setting a home would really help jump start the group-starting process.

Hope that helps! Good luck with your group going forward.