Tessa Jowell - disappointed

louisiana

A week on, still waiting for any kind of *human* response from Tessa Jowell's office regarding an email that I sent a week ago.

Given that the subject matter is very much 'time is of the essence' (the Digital Economy Bill, with Harriet Harman likely to make an announcement this Thursday on arrangements for rushing this Bill through in an undemocratic way without any proper debate; and with contentious issues likely to be included in the 'wash up'), this is not what I expect from my MP.

Am I expecting too much?

Or perhaps Tessa just doesn't care any more?? (there's a few of those around, the ones that are leaving)

I suspect you are the only person who has written to her this week

probably

And still she won't respond eh?

tsk

I know this bill has generated enormous amounts of debate and traffic - I've registered my own protest as well, but I'm not sure what kind of meaningful response you can expect from tess at this point, within a week

Yeah, well I know she's written back to someone else locally on this issue in a few days...

Maybe my letter just fell behind the filing cabinet? :-/

There is definitely a postbag on this one; and I think a major issue is the complacency of MPs on the issue (kind of "oh I don't like measures xyz, and (so?) it probably won't get through). Many don't seem to realise that by this stage it's a done deal as far as MPs are concerned. But then Tessa is not just an MP right, so her loyalties perhaps don't lie with her constituents??

(but rather with the BPI, IFPI and all their works)

Did anyone mention lobbying? ;-)

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I suspect you are the only person who has written

> to her this week

>

> probably

>

> And still she won't respond eh?

>

> tsk

>

> I know this bill has generated enormous amounts of

> debate and traffic - I've registered my own

> protest as well, but I'm not sure what kind of

> meaningful response you can expect from tess at

> this point, within a week

The way that most other MPs are responding to their constituents. Which is to say they are referring the matter to the minister or somesuch.

I mean, any response would be better than none.

I wrote to her about 3 weeks ago and still await a reply. Mine was to do with the new law coming in in April that requires planning permission to be obtained in future when renting out a property to 3 or more people sharing.

If the issue is a local one (so eg Melbourne Grove GPs) then you can legitimately expect a quicker reply than if the issue is one where the MP needs to write to the Minister concerned for a response (eg Digital Economy).