Well I never ....

woofmarkthedog

Well....

I was driving Regent street, traffic was slow & busy as I pulled up beside a nice top of the range BMW Shooting brake going in the opposite direction.

Inside a lady driver was having a puff on a cigarette, really getting stuck into it. She made big puffed out cheeks as she blew smoke rings for her pleasure. She was positively lost in the joy of it, filling the car with smoke

In doing so she caught my gaze & shifted back upright in her seat. Also in the back of her car was a baby in it's travel seat.

She saw that I saw and looked away.

Now I am quietly outspoken (really, yes me...) but this hit my "Tourette's" button and before I knew it I'd called out the car window

"You rotter, smoking over a child"

And..."You should be ashamed of yourself.." or words to that effect but no swearing, I promise

Her jaw dropped, she then sped off

Now the normally patient Mrs W**F looked at me "horrified"

"Oh my god, I can't believe you just said that" ( and she's heard a few robust declarations from me in her time )

She was mortified, her hand over her mouth looking at me in total disbelief

I stood my ground of course

Well you would, wouldn't you ?

Because I was in the right....right ?

W**F

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was once caught in a traffic jam on the A40 next

> to a posh car with Princess Margaret sat in the

> back smoking like a chimney.

>

> Look what happened to her ...

Well...

I don't really mind what an individual does to themselves

She was also of her time

W**F

I would have done the same.

But then speaking out has got me into trouble all my life :-$

But the one thing I really really regret and it still bothers me is an instance when I didn't speak out (woman hitting a small screaming child really hard and really long, on a bus), so on the whole I'm going to continue.

Woofy, I am proud of you...good doggie...I think your actions were in order...I was far less restrained when I witnessed a man knocking his small child to the ground some years ago (but...ahem...the less said about that the better).

However, I am slightly disappointed with you in one respect...driving in Central London were you? Hmmmm, I'm not so impressed now.

(record spin-back sound effect)

A car draws-up alongside. It's a Vauxhall Corsa, with a spoiler on the back and a UV light underneath. Old-Skool 'choons' pump out of the window. A tatooed arm hangs partially out of the window with a chunky gold bracelet on the wrist - and a Rothmans 'twixt the digits.

There's a baby in the back - wearing an earring.

Do you follow the same course of action?

I don't know what the answer is.

With a high potential for a road-rage incident, you might see the arm out of the window and convince yourself it's not too bad.

Anyway, the kid's got an earring so all hope is lost anyway.

I think the Government are planning to do your job for you Woof.

But I agree, children need to be protected from second hand smoking. Well done.

Liked the comment about white vauxhall corsa though, that would be a tougher call, Mrs Woof might be shocked and horrified as she picks Woof up off the floor.

Narnia Wrote:

> Jah Lush Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

>

> > Thou art so sanctomonious today Woof.

>

> I guess thou aren't a father Jah but stand to be

> corrected.

Always nice to hear from the 'you're not a parent - how could you ever understand' brigade...

*Bob* Wrote:

> I don't know what the answer is.

>

> With a high potential for a road-rage incident,

> you might see the arm out of the window and

> convince yourself it's not too bad.

> Anyway, the kid's got an earring so all hope is

> lost anyway.

Do people still do that ? How disgustingly chav

I'm not a brigade, just a parent of a soon to be 19 year old who has his own mind. However once upon a time he was a baby and accepted whatever came his way. Giving love to whoever was there without any preconceptions. I happen to think that was something beautiful. What gives you the right to make your sarcastic comment?

woofmarkthedog Wrote:

> Well you would, wouldn't you ?

> Because I was in the right....right ?

Right.(tu)

Well done for speaking up.

I sympathise with this one. Its bad enough being an adult when someone does that, yet the baby had no choice.

Sometimes we see things we cannot ignore and other times we wish we'd spoken up when we kept quiet. Difficult.

I wish I had your courage Woof. Every time I collect my daughter from school and I see the road outside the gates congested with cars parked across the crossing point, despite the double yellows, with lazy parents sat inside waiting for their off-spring. I want to say something, but all I can manage is a very sour glare at the drivers as I dodge their cars to cross the road. I guess I don't want say anything because I'd quickly get angry and it may cause a scene with all the kids about, but I sometimes consider standing in front of their cars and photographing them then posting them on the school website to name and shame them!

Brum, I guess you have to think of the possible affect it might have on your daughter if you did something so publicly. However, the photograph idea sounds good as no one need know it was you if you are discreet about it. Help the little one's who can't help themselves brigade, I'm for!