Car Insurance for 17yrs male

Mrs Y

Hi

My son passed his driving test this morning and has spent this afternoon on the internet looking at insurance for a Ford Fiesta 1.3 96 plate and has been quoted ?3,500. Anyone know any realistic alternatives.

Crazy as typical fine for no insurance is around 2-300 pound. Really p`sses me off though if people don't though.

In the old days you could make the car yours and have him as a named driver. Probably still get away with it but if push came to shove they'd probably suspect it was shonky and investigate. Plus he wouldn't be building up any no claims anyway which he needs to start doing really.

General ways of cutting premiums would include volunteering for a big excess and voluntarily restricting mileage by quite a lot, not sure how much difference it would make though. Other things which may help are further post test training as I understand it although I don't know by how much.

Can't remember which insurance company does it (?aviva - what use to be Norwich Union) but they do an offer where they can offer teenagers cheaper insurance but there is a curfew on when they can use the car - might be worth looking into.

Doing a pass plus course will also help reduce insurance premiums.

Mrs Y Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi

>

> My son passed his driving test this morning and

> has spent this afternoon on the internet looking

> at insurance for a Ford Fiesta 1.3 96 plate and

> has been quoted ?3,500. Anyone know any realistic

> alternatives.

Yeah....

My alternative ?

Call me when he's out driving , I'll stay in

I mean 17 years old, can he even operate a washing machine or make toast with out setting off the smoke alarm... ?

Still "statistically you are in more danger in your own home"

Which is comforting

W**F

17 years old right? So probably still at school?

What the hell are you buying him a car for?

There's a coded message in the 3.5 grand - it says you shouldn't be buying a car for a 17 year old boy.

The 3.5 grand is a contribution to the hospital bills of the kids he hits when doing wheelspins to impress the girls on the way back from class.

17 years old, buying him a car. Ridiculous.

On a more positive note - First Direct offer a policy that if the first named driver is an experienced driver, then the second driver (just passed test) can build up a no claims bonus. We're investigating this as we have an 18 year old about to take his test and keen to use our second car (my wife's) which is a ten year old Peugot 206. Additional premium about ?1,000. We estimate that in two years time he'll be:

a. More experienced and almost 21

b. Will have a 2 year no claim bonus

c. Will have taken his Pass Plus test

All of which should reduce the cost of his insurance.

He has also started to save for a car, opening a "car account" with money from his 18th birthday - tho' the longed for Ferrari is quite a way off yet

I was 17 when I got my first car and never had an accident or behaved like an arse so I think the generalisation is a bit much. Sadly, with insurance, you pay for all the A-holes that do!

Quite shocked at the price though. I think the insurance on my first car (Austin Avenger) was ?125 pa tpf&t!

Definitely add more experienced drivers. I had my parents as named drivers on my insurance for years and it reduced my premiums. Companies I used as a younger driver were Privilege and Elephant. I don't whether they are still good value.

Recently my mu tried to add me to her car insurance and was quoted an extra ?195. Given that I'm in my 30s and the car is a only 1.4, this seemed rather high. But according to her insurance company, it's the 3rd named driver that has all the accidents!

Do it in your name and apply bonus if you can. Most insurers will give him a discount of a new policy in a few years time in his own name if he is claim free.

Leaving it until he is 18 will also help with the premium.

Depending on the value of the car it might not be worth going fully comp. If your car is worth less than the premium then why bother?

If I was in your position I'd have some strict rules in place. My driving record from age 17-24 was horrific .... and I mean horrific!

I'm really not THAT much of an idiot but once I was behind the wheel of a car I was in another world for some reason. It's really not worth the investment unless he accrues bonus or some claim free(ish) driving experience.

Hi,

Firstly try elephant.co.uk and get a quote online in his name with you as a named driver, this will bring the cost down but he will still build no claims bonus.

Secondly the car isn't even worth ?3500 so there is no point in having fully comp insurance.

he's 17, he's going to "probably" drive a little 'erratically' he's probably gonna prang it reversing into a tight space, so let him knock the hell out of this car (by hitting non living and preferably not other peoples vehicles) and gain experience.

14 years ago when I passed my test insurance on a 1986 1.4 Renault 5 piece of crap worth ?250 was ?660 third party only! I just took that and hoped nobody would bother stealing something that barely drove! It will go down a fair bit after a years no claims gets added on.

My insurance is with Coverbox from the co-operative insurance, i was quoted ?1400 for me and my son for the year, we have a tracker installed in the car that tracks how many miles we do and charges us extra for peak, off-peak and super-peak (driving on fri,sat or sun nights between 11pm and 5am) it the last 5months ive paid approx ?290 using this scheme and my 17 year old son is included, he is a named driver and i am a main and the car is registered in my name. This was the cheapest we could find and we got our quote from gocompare.com not sure if you can go directly to coverboxs website for a quote, the tracker also protects us for theft and you can log in to the coverbox website and see how many miles you have done, and also how many carbon emmissions etc for that day or month. ive worked out that over the year it will be about ?750 for me and my son and when the policy comes to an end they'll refund us the difference. hope this helps :)

I have heard that Privilege is a good one for new drivers as they also insure high performance at competitive rates and have more reasonable rates when it comes to risk assessment. I know they sorted me out a good few years back with my Corvette and I was young and had a few accidents in the past :)

You should also check out sites like moneysupermarket, gocompare, comparethemarket to save some time.

Also you could check out some of the big motoring sites for advice like, Autotrader, Motors, Just Good Cars etc...

Also a great place for advice is Piston Heads.

Hope That Helps! :)

Gary