Filming a funeral

ratty

As I type this, looking out over the back streets of Lewisham, a funeral is taking place and there is someone filming it.

Is it only me that finds this distasteful? If someone had shoved a camera in my face at my dad's funeral they would have had to have had surgery to remove it from their hole!

After that guy got assassinated in Camberwell by blokes on scooters a few year ago I went past his Funeral and there was a heavy police prescence and they were filming which I thought was a bit OTT. Mind you there was some serious looking blokes there.

If it's one of those ones with the feathered horses and an enormous floral tribute saying 'The Guv' or something, crawling along a high street holding-up an enormous queue of traffic desperate to overtake, then it might be worth filming.

But probably not for the usual humdrum trip to The Crem to watch the polyester curtains close followed by half an hour hanging about waiting to receive the cremulated ashes in a tinpot shoe-box.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If it's one of those ones with the feathered

> horses and an enormous floral tribute saying 'The

> Guv' or something, crawling along a high street

> holding-up an enormous queue of traffic desperate

> to overtake, then it might be worth filming.

My old nan had one of those - most peculiar - would have been worth filming too I reckon on account of all the shady strangers who kept telling me how sorry they were for my loss. Would have solved at least 6 or 7 open cases on Crimewatch I imagine.

However, I concur with the majority - the thought of someone filming my grief (or indeed unbecoming lack of it) is pretty abhorrent.

Well I did think..

It was "quite different" until an African guy I know said it wasn't unusual where he lived & in some parts of Italy it's OK too apparently

So as long as nobody shouts " Cut, we are going to need to shoot that scene from the top again folks " then it's fine by me

Of course the usual etiquette should still be observed like...

"No posed photo's with the stiff" or "Free commemorative T-shirts to go with the box set DVD at ?29.99"

Honestly though, I think it's just as odd filming your child being born, all that blood & guts.....bleeeaaachh

Each to their own though...

"Cumbia ya "

W**F

*puts on rose tinted specs*

How odd. Was it a professional cameraman or just a relative/friend with a camcorder? I can see the sense if someone is bed bound or can't make it for whatever reason but to do it for just a keepsake seems a bit vile to me. Each to their own I guess.

Sort of on a related note - if you go to the Twin Towers site in New York then there are loads of blokes hawking footage of the planes crashing into the towers etc, which I found pretty distasteful...but then 'one' is kind of rubbernecking by going there in the first place I guess.

giggirl Wrote:

> It would bother me. People should be allowed to

> grieve as they see fit without a camera in their

> faces. If someone were not able to attend then an

> audio recording of the service would be more

> appropriate.

xxxxxx

Surely it's completely up to the family and friends concerned what they do.

If the camera person had nothing to do with the funeral, then that's a different matter, but if so and they weren't comfortable with it they could presumably have told them to f off.

Just because you wouldn't feel comfortable about it doesn't mean that nobody else would.

Each to their own, exactly woof.

For all we know the dead person might have asked for their funeral to be filmed. Weird, but possible.

HAL9000 Wrote:

> A reality show based on which contestant's funeral

> attracts the most public votes will break the

> taboo, no doubt.

Yes...

I like this idea can we call it ....

"WANTED.... DEAD NOT ALIVE "

I dont suppose the deceased cared too much. Ive never been bothered about what is going to happen to me once actually dead. Someone quite 'cold' emotionally, told me recently what actually happens to the body whilst being cremated , he'd previously worked in two crematoriums. Its put me right off being cremated .

daizie Wrote:

Someone .., told me recently what actually

> happens to the body whilst being cremated.. Its put me

> right off being cremated .

What did you previously imagine might happen to a body when subjected to extreme and sustained heat in an enclosed space?

"Someone quite 'cold' emotionally, told me recently what actually happens to the body whilst being cremated , he'd previously worked in two crematoriums. Its put me right off being cremated ."

Wouldn't worry about it - by that time you'd be quite cold yourself.

When I go, I'd like to go - in style - in a CE40.

It has a separate 2-second secondary chamber residence time (running at 850?C) - and, most importantly, it can also accept small animals (up to 725mm wide)

file.php?20,file=10384