Vote for Policies not Personalities!

PeckhamRose

The "vote for policiees" website ignores one major element about the way we vote. Consciously or unconsciously votes factor in the likelihood of the politician's being elected to power.

So you may think a Green or UKIP policy is absolutely brilliant but will discount it in favour of an OK Tory or Labour policy that might, just, become enacted.

That's not to ignore the value of smaller parties in developing good ideas for the bigger parties to steal, modify and publish as their own agenda.

Not one Labour policy, now that must be telling somehow.

Shockingly BNP got in there, guess I'll be testing their non-Anglo-caucasian policy after all... Heh!

But before that all I'll be dusting off my Maggie mask.

Saving grace? Went with the Green Party on Environment.

OMG I am genuinely surprised at my result.

I'm thinking they should base it on more than just four key policy areas. Found myself (unusually) wavering between some of the answers, so I guess lots to think about between now and the election.

Yup, I agree with you Sean, can totally see through those glaringly obvious ones!

PeckhamRose - thanks, I think...:)

Crime - Lib Dems

Democracy - Lib Dems

Economy - Conservatives

Health / NHS - Labour

Makes sense. I will be voting ABL (Anyone But Labour), but that is mainly based on hoping that the next lot will reverse all of Labour's destruction of freedoms in this country. Even though it will be destabilising in the short term, a Tory/Lib Dem hung parliament may just be a good thing in the long run.

I didn't get any BNP ones but a couple of UKIP ones got in there. I chose five areas and am hung UKIP/Tory with a Green side order.

Ewww - wish I hadn't done it now.

I have to say I mostly went for the more 'plain English' mani-promises. I got bored with the convoluted hyperbole/gobbledygook of some of them. So there may be policies that I'd prefer but that I couldn't be bothered to get my head round.

Oh dear - in many ways.:-$

I went Labour most of the way - 67%, but got the odd tory and lib dem idea in.

Bizarrely I ended up with UKIP on welfare.

I think it was mainly because I was a bit bored by this stage and couldn't read the xtra stuff. I liked the idea of 'workfare instead of 'welfare'. I also liked their idea of simplifying the horrible mess of welfare payments, particularly how councils would 'give' with accommodation, and 'take' with Council Tax.

It would appear that this novel concept in voting for policies is proving a hit with the masses. As the site is now getting thousands of hits and melting down as we speak.

I wonder if this is teh first election that could be significantly influenced by a social networking / web tool and a massive under 35 vote , Rage Against the Machine style....

Apols ryedalema and stand corrected....I'm just guessing the demographic that has historically harnessed the web most effectively as a campaign tool. I'm guessing more people in their fifties and sixties are more likely to be influenced by TV, newsnight or even traditional campaign tools rather than say Facebook or some funky website...

No probs Mr. Ben. I'm only just over your threshold and am obviously a little sensitive about it ;-)

As for 'traditional media' I'm getting slightly narked with the amount of literature and doorstepping at our house. We've had at least three pieces of propaganda from each party (some really posh stuff too!) and visits from the world and his dog - on bank holidays too!

Sorry Admin - I'm straying off topic.

Rant over x

I got a split between Greens, Lib Dems and UKIP.

Green Party had my economic policy of choice and I must have been swayed by the UKIP's pledge to "root out waste and inefficiency in the NHS".

Only Labour tick for me was for their immigration policy - much like the Australian system.

I got 50% Green, and the rest split between Labour, LibDem and, um, UKIP (must look up which one that was!). But I chose 8 categories and was getting very bored of the cryptospeak by the end. Really struggled to find a single Education statement that I liked. Caning, anyone? I assume that was the BNP, stupid amateurs that they are.

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Green Party had my economic policy of choice

Good lord - did they? I wouldn't trust the Greens with the economy! They're a bit "on non-speaking terms with reality" sometimes on such matters.

Did the Tories by any chance get you with their environment policy? :))