Why mariage is good (for the country / economy)

Marmora Man

David Cameron wants more people to marrry because evidence seems to suggest it provides a more stable basis for bringing up children and supporting wider society.

Having just attended the wedding of an old friend's daughter I have another idea. Spending by wedding guests could kick the economy - over the course of three days (the wedding was in Scotland) I must have pumped hundreds of pounds into getting UK out of recession.

New shoes for Mrs MM. Wedding present. Travel to and from Scotland. Hotel on motorway half way to Scotlland. Two nights in a local hotel. One local dinner. Some local shopping for "bits & pieces". Multiply my experience by the 150 guests and that's a sizeable sum. Multiply that by the number of weddings every week and it becomes bigger still.

And this wasn't some fancy dancy wedding - humanist service held in the Bride's garden, home catering, celigh band and dancing in the evening in a marquee loaned from the Scouts. The bigger bashes must generate proportionately even more spending!

Do you think it is necessary to give a wedding present if you spend all that money on travel and hotel? I am curious as to the etiquette of this? Once attended a wedding far from here, although still in this country and not on the home ground of either bride or groom and they cheekily asked for money for their honeymoon trip as a wedding present.

Marriage is not a religious thing, but I understand was merely a formal arrangement to protect the women when the fishermen didn't come from from fishing trips. Religious folk have taken it over. Politicians who realise how powerful the religious thing is use it to bash us over the head with even though there seems to be no evidence that monogamy is a natural need.

We only got married because of the pension rights having lived together 18 years. We'd have had a Humanist wedding too had it been legal in England. We had to go to Southwark Registry Office. We did not tell anyone so no money was spent.

Marriage is not necessarily good for the economy but it is good for us all to be in identifiable units so we can be monitored more easily by governments.

My thoughts for what they're worth!

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Marriage is not a religious thing, but I

> understand was merely a formal arrangement to

> protect the women when the fishermen didn't come

> from from fishing trips.

I think marriage may be a much older sociological phenomenon as it exists in hunter gatherer societies some of whom haven?t even invented fishing let alone boats, fishing trips, cooler boxes, beer and all the other things that go with them.

Andystar Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's also the only word in the English language

> that is also a sentence :)-D

>

> ..I only say that because no-one wants to marry me

> :-$

Maybe you're not such a star after all....

Your time will come I'm sure.