Lowering high body temperature with medication - good or bad?

brum

What's the concensus view? I'm suffering with a flu-type virus that's lasted over 3 weeks. I've had high temperature on and off throughout, with the last few days I've been particularly feverish. I've already been through a course of antibiotics and I've had lots of advice to take paracetomol to reduce my high temperature, which I have been doing.

The thing is, I recall being told by an expert in human physiology that there is an argument not to lower body temperature by medication because the higher temperature is only the body's natural defence mechanism to fight off the virus. it is high for a good reason. To lower it falsely serves only to prolong the illness.

In my particular case, I'm beginning to wonder if this is why I'm still poorly after so long. :-(

I'd be really a little concerned if I had a highly elevated temperature for three weeks. Whilst high temperature does reflect your body fighting off infection, it also does reduce your body's efficiency.

However, are you sure it is high? Normal range is from 36.2C to 37.2C, but for some people (around 1 in 20) they are permanently outside that range.

Are you keeping a record of it - say taken the same time in the morning at the point that you wake (without getting up or drinking water/tea etc.)? How much higher is it?

Your treament seems odd - you shouldn't be taking antibiotics for a viral infection, they're for bacterial, fungal and protozoan infections and in general should show results in a few days if not before.

The antibiotics themselves alter your body's natural state and can have an impact on body temperature, or feelings of well being.

I'd be thinking of revisiting your doctor with your temperature calendar. I'd also be thinking of running a few tests - if you're male, in your prime and social I might be thinking of a liver function test?

However, I ain't no health professional - just a middle aged chap with the usual concerns who often considers such stuff when travelling.

There is an opportunity for a handful of docs to create their own business called Quack-Net.

You should be able to dial in to the tinternet and place you symptons and get a reply for a prognosis.

Come on you high tech medics, get your act together and make a fortune.

Don't rely on the advice of people - even if they are well-meaning and even medically trained - on a website like this. Go to the doctor and explain your concerns and see what s/he recommends. Low grade fever could mean you have an infection of some kind. Or it might not. See - that's an example of a non-medically trained but well meaning person giving you advice which really doesn't give you the answer you want.

Hi Huguenot. Thanks for that, much appreciate your input. I will go back to the docs. To be honest, the last doc was a locum and I wasn't too impressed. Along with the antibiotics I also was prescribed medicine for an unproductive dry cough, whatever that is! I don't record my temp as you suggest, but I would consider a high temp to be from above 37.8, although I haven't had this kind of temp consistently over these last 3 weeks, just sometimes, apart from this weekend.

What is your view on my original question?

Thanks Nero, although my original post was more about a question over artificially reducing body temp through medication generally, rather than me specifically. However I do take your very good point. I have already made a new appointment.

Interesting suggestion SteveT! Not sure if I would consult a doc via the Internet though.... !

Yes, I've also read that having a temperature is the body's means of defense against virus / bacterial infection. However, too high a temperature can be harmful. I guess the trick is to keep monitoring the temperature and take action if it starts creeping harmfully high.

Anyway, this is a 'best answer' to a similar question on Yahoo: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090213112939AA1j9q2

"When an immune response is generated against a bacterial or (occasionally) viral infection, the cells of the immune system (white blood cells - WBC) release cytokines or chemical messengers which signal a part of the brain known as the Hypothalamus to increase the temperature of our bodies. It does this by signalling the muscles to shiver, and to increase the body's metabolic rate to produce excess heat.

This increase in temperature acts to stress the bacteria, to help the human immune system defeat the infection. Furthermore, increasing the temperature of the body increases the amount of Oxygen the blood is capable of carrying. This is because the WBCs use the oxygen to produce chemicals that kill the bacteria.

However, it is possible for the body to overreact to the stimulus to heat-up and it is possible to cause damage to the brain and gonads from high fevers. For this reason, high temperatures (>40 degrees C) should be treated with panadol (acetaminophen) only, and not with aspirin. Panadol desensitises the brain to the cytokines responsible, and the brain brings the bodies temperature back to normal."

Agree with going back to Doctors with a revcord of your temperature and question if use of antibiotics was right since the symptoms may be viral or fungal.

And don't waste your time with the NHS Direct line.

Sorry if I offend anyone with that last statement but I stand by it.

On whether the actual temperature is dangerous, I understand a body temperature of 38 degrees in still within the zone of healthy people who live perfectly happily at that high level - so I don't know whether 37.8 is intrinsically dangerous.

It probably all kind of depends what your own 'normal' is as to whether is signifies a new problem.

Since your body varies by at least 0.5 degress across the day, let alone your environment, then 'random' self-testing won't help you work it out. You'd need to measure at the same time in the same environment to make a good guess.

The best thing is to leave a digital thermometer next to the bedside with a pen, and then record it in the morning whilst you're still in bed! (Ask anyone who's on the baby-hunt!)

Brum - Have you also thought about the external temperature?

As well as using Paracetamol (Acetominophen), it is often sensible to think about turning down the thermostat, opening a window, using a fan and trying looser, lighter clothing or bedding - these should all help in lowering a raised body temp.

But don't freeze!

But as a health professional, I would advise you as others have done, to go see your GP.(And I see you already plan to do just that).

I'm happy to be teased, but really I did not start this thread to get sympathy. If some of you had read my OP properly, I asked a general question about the benefits - or not - of artificially lowering body temperature if you're ill. By that, I don't mean the choice between taking a paracetomol or 'opening a window'. I wanted to open a discussion about it, 'tis all! Thanks as well to all of you who have responded to me by PM.

I have been searching the internet trying to find an answer to this very question, hence came across your discussion. I'm not exactly in East Dulwich, Melbourne Australia actually. I have to say thanks to the Minkey - I have been labouring under a fluctuating but generally just sub 40 degree temp for a couple of days, (monitoring my temp often to make sure it's not > 40) there is a dreadful lurgy going on over here too and it's Autumn and hot. I have been trying not to take paracetomol to lower the temp, except at night to help me sleep, having heard before about fevers being the body's best defense mechanism. The Minkey's answer is exactly what I have been trying to find out. Feeling better today so think I may have cracked it! Could of course just have been coincidence and the fever had run it's course but it worked for me. Hope you are feeling better Brum.