HELP needed with computer issues.

bee74

I have a Sony Vaio and I don't quite understand how it works: why Messanger always starts when I switch on, why icons disappear from the desktop, why I keep getting messages that someone wants to alter my hard-drive...

I don't think this is rocket science if you know a bit about computers, but I don't.

I would be happy to pay a reasonable fee or to exchange with a yoga session/ massage.

Thank you very much!

Barbara

Off the top of my head:

Messenger starts because there's a default setting somewhere that makes it do so. Next time it loads, have a look if there's a checkbox you can tick to stop it happening.

Icons disappearing, I don't know. Do they disappear and reappear? Is this just when the laptop is going through the process of turning on and getting everything loaded?

What exactly is the message you're getting regarding the hard drive, e.g. if you have Windows Live Update running, it will occasionally tell you Updates are waiting to be installed, the exact wording is essential to work out what's going on.

Messenger: right click on the little messenger icon in the system try (bottom right) and choose settings, you should see a box with a tick in it saying start messenger on wondows start-up or something similar, uncheck the box and relax.

Icon should only disappear if you have run the desktop clean-up (bubble appears every now and again telling you that there are unused icons on your desktop).

As Minkey said you need to publish the message you are getting re the hard drive.

Are you the only person who has access to this computer? Could someone else be altering it?

Thank you very much for your response.

When I right click on Messanger I get a Tasks Icon, but no settings option...

I have not run a clean up and no one has access to this computer but me and both Skipe and today Internet Explorer disappeared, so that I have to go to the 'Start' icon and then get a list of stuff from which I can choose them...

NExt time the message appear, I will make a note of it...

Thank you

Messenger: click Start>>Run, type msconfig in the dialogue box, hit ok, go to the Startup tab and find Messenger then untick the checkbox and it should fix that problem (it will ask you to restart but you can ignore that for now)