Malcolm McLaren is dead

titch juicy

It's true.

When my mate was ill once in the mid eighties she wrote to him and told him how his art and clothes and music and attitude had had such a positive effect on her. He was in an Eastern European country, in a hotel one night and read her letter. So he rang her up for a chat for about an hour. She was so moved by that and they had a lot in common.

flapjackdavey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> didnt like him particularly ... but popular music

> over the last 35 years would have been very

> differant without him .

Maybe...but I think I tend to believe the band's and especially Lydon's version of Punk which says that he was trying to make them a kind of New York Dolls mark 2 (Bay City Rollers with a bit of attitude) and that he was always trying to get them to tone it down and was sh1tting himself after the Grundy interview. Anyway, an interesting bloke however much of a master of his own reinvention he was. RIP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmHhB9zV_rQ

http://sleevage.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/godsave1.jpg

http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/41111-large.jpg

http://daintydarlings.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/punks460.jpg

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=31438

"It was the decade of strikes, electricity shortages and piles of rotting rubbish on the street.

There was more to the 1970s, such as music, fashion and long, hot summers.

But the industrial unrest had a huge impact."

It was a time when people at least tried to be political.... now... what??? apathy... don't complain if you sit on the sidelines

that period was full of energy and creativity... and the Sex Pistols were part of that feeling of 'challenging authority'... where it it all go???

RIP Mr McLaren

Yup! Cartoon punks Quids.

I loved the Sex Pistols. They were a breath of fresh air after years of boring prog. I met Malcolm once. He turned up to my brother's 21st birthday party back in the late 80s. He seemed friendly enough and quite chatty. He did have a major influence at that time but he was definitely a self mythogoliser. You don't invent Johnny Rotten. He was THE face of punk and the Pistols were THE band.

Jah, loved it - When I was 14 I went overnight from Centreparting blow back hair, Red cheery DMs, Oxford bags, Tank top and denim jacket (plus silk football scarf) to my mate cutting my hair with a crap pair of nail scissors and peiercing my ear with safetypin plus straight cords odd fluroscent socks and dms. Wouldn't look that radical now (safetypin maybe)but my folks went spare and I got haauled up by my Headmaster for my haircut...Aghhhh, I thought "They're scared and don't understand" that's a powerfull thing to get hold of as a spotty 14 year old!

To Charlies point about 'the youth of today' I think that's why youth culture's not scary now...most youngters grandparents have been through it...my headmaster had fought in Italy, no wonder he hadn't a clue what we were doing! I think the last youth culture that 'worked' in that sense was Acid House

I'm gonna be pedantic Quids... don't recall anywhere saying that the photo was from the 70's

or saying that political apathy was a 'youth' issue!!!!!

bollocks to you and up yours quidsie (all in the spirit of the thread of course...)

http://www.auralexploits.com/ebay_images/lp/SexPistols_NeverMind_PicDisc_1.jpg

As much as I love punk rock - in it's various incarnations - I've never really been into the pistols. I never really saw them as political or revolutionary... the pseudo-nihilistic attitude always seemed devoid of substance. And the music never resonated with me, unlike the Clash, Ramones, Dead Kennedys, etc. It always seemed that with the pistols, the aesthetics were more important.

The Sex Pistols were a phenomenon as much as a pop group, and pop group they were and still continue to be.

McLaren was of course a self-mythologist as said before (The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle), but I doubt the Pistols, the Bernie Rhodes Clash and any of the others would have existed without his cheek, sauce and game yiddisher boyness.

He went on to get involved with various other types of music, with varying degrees of success, went for London mayor, but bottled it and we ended up with Livingston.

Theorist, chancer, manipulater and wide boy. I think he'd unashamadely admit to all of those. I'll miss him.

For me the world is that bit diminished by his passing.

RIP MM.