Cycling through Vauxhall Cross

TheArtfulDogger

There's a cycle path once you get to the crossing by the Royal Vauxhall Tavern. It takes you under the station and out the other side by the bus station, avoiding the 3 lane road.

Watch out for stupid sleepy pedestrians straying into the bike path.

Also watch out for bendy buses around The Oval.

TheArtfulDogger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Strange question, but now summer (hope I haven't

> spoken too soon) is here, I plan to cycle into

> town a lot more via Vauxhall Cross, but am a bit

> confused about the safest route through the

> interchange from the Oval side to Vauxhall Bridge

> Road

>

> Any cyclist able to offer advice ?

That's not a strange question at all!

I am presuming you are intending cycling over Vauxhall Bridge? If so, it's pretty nightmarish in that it's more challenging than, say, the E & C, Waterloo, and Hyde Park Corner gyratories. You will need to be extremely assertive as the car drivers will show you no mercy during rush hour. I did that route by bike for years as I worked in Pimlico. However, the good news is that, since then, some cycle lanes have appeared. They are however very "stop and start" and poorly signposted (if at all) so you will need to keep your eyes peeled (both on the ground for the green lanes and above for signs). There is also a tunnel for a small section of the journey - though, at the time this was one-way only to be used when leaving the bridge (things may have changed though - do check). Also, please have your lights on...even in the daytime...it gets surprisingly dark under the bridges. High visibility vest too.

I would urge you to obtain TFL's free cycle map for the area and to undertake several practice runs early on a Sunday when traffic is light.

Having said how scary it can be, once you've done it half a dozen times and provided you cycle assertively and in accordance with the Highway Code you may find it quite thrilling. I used to get quite a buzz each morning/evening I headed that way, though I was always thankful once I had made it through safely. You might also find a mask useful - the car fumes can be pretty strong in summer under those bridges.

Unless you need to get to either Pimlico or Victoria, I would choose another route into town - until you are more confident. And even then, for Victoria you could go via Parliament Square (over Westminster Bridge)...it's slighter longer, but safer (in my opinion).

Almost forgot, get in touch with Southwark Council...they used to fund free cycling instruction. This could include an instructor accompanying you on one of your journeys. They may still offer this service. By the sound of it, this might well suit you.

Good luck, and enjoy cycling.

I do this route semi-regularly when I'm working in town, and it's not too bad although it is traffic heavy at rush hour. Coming from Oval, you slip up onto the pavement (there's a mini cycle path) at the crossing opposite the Royal Vauxhall Tavern. You can then cycle over to the island in the middle, and then go left and cycle over the next bit of road (also with cycle lights). You can then cycle through the tunnel to your right (not the road tunnel!) which brings you out in the bus station area. I've never quite worked out where you're supposed to go then, but I go straight on/slightly left and onto the road to the lights - the only other traffic is buses at this point. You can then go onto the bridge, and as it's controlled by traffic lights you have enough time to clear the cars coming up on your left. Then there's a cycle lane over the bridge.

It can be busy coming off the bridge, so be confident in your road placing as there will be vehicles turning left. The next bit of road is quite aggressive and busy, so it's worth getting off it as soon as possible. The other thing to be aware of is that the sections at the start are shared between pedestrians and cyclists, and at rush hour there can be so many people it's easier to get off and push.

Coming back there's a clearer cycle route - you come onto the pavement at the end of the bridge, follow the path left, cycle over a crossing with cycle lights, under the bridge and then go back onto the road the other side of the lights.

Depending on where you're aiming for in town, I find Lambeth bridge is a bit more pleasant to cycle over. Anyway, hope that helps!

I have had a lesson with Southwark for cycling. It's one on one, and one lesson lasts about 2 hours. Amazing for free! First lesson is mostly basics (although did end showing me how to go right through a junction) but you can book more lessons (also free) to practice more advanced things like roundabouts and bigger junctions. I found it brilliant. As I don't drive, sometimes I am not sure what to do in lanes etc, but the lady who taught me was brilliant!

TheArtfulDogger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Strange question, but now summer (hope I haven't

> spoken too soon) is here, I plan to cycle into

> town a lot more via Vauxhall Cross, but am a bit

> confused about the safest route through the

> interchange from the Oval side to Vauxhall Bridge

> Road

>

> Any cyclist able to offer advice ?

OMG Artful you need a cycle "buddy" - as do I.

I cycled over Vauxhall Bridge earlier this week (unplanned, don't ask!) - its not exactly pleasant. The next day I discovered the route that Horsebox and Ladymuck mention above - SO much better.

If you can avoid that bridge then do so as Lambeth/Westminster = less stress. Best of luck.