The first ever size 16 girl to take part in the Miss England

oomaha28

http://www.hollywire.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/chloe-marshall-pagent-finalist.jpg

size 16 girl In Miss England Final

Chloe Marshall, a 17-year-old ex-beautician from Surrey, is set to turn modelling convention around by becoming the first ever size 16 girl to take part in a Miss England final. The BBC suggests she's making history which, in the week that America got healthcare reform and the UK launched a new space agency, seems like a fair assessment.

The 5ft 10in, 12st 5lb and a 36E model points out that the average UK woman is a size 16 and says past efforts to drop in dress size weren't for her:

"Last year I went on a really strict diet and got down to a size 12, but I just looked like skin and bones, it didn't suit me.

"I eat healthily, I go to the gym a lot. This is just the size I'm meant to be."

Why do we even have a Miss England contest these days? I can't find any info on the Miss England website that tells me what the point of the competition is. If it's to celebrate the hottest girls in England, that seems obviously dated. If it's to pay tribute to the character and inspirational efforts of the average English woman, why aren't there more girls like Chloe Marshall getting through to the finals?

That is one heavy teenager.

When she is thirty she'll be enormous if she carries on growing at the same rate,

what kind of mother or father allows their child to indulge so?

They are not being supportive enough to their poor daughter.

At that age they should be as fit as the butchers dog, not fat as the butchers meat.

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> what kind of mother or father allows their child

> to indulge so?

Body type/shape is largely determined by genetics - one or both of her parents probably has a similar size/shape. Once the genetic die is cast, there's little one can do about it.

Hmph. Yes and no.

If you consume more calaories than you burn, you get fat. If you consume less than you burn, you get thin.

Genetics can predispose your body to turn excess calories into fat quicker, but doesn't negate the basic equation.

Fat people are fat because they overeat and don't get enough exercise.

Interestingly, just 'thinking' can burn a lot of calories, so there might be case for suggesting that being heavily overweight also implies you're daft! ;-) Quite literally.

I guess whether it's sexy or not is subjective. There are plenty of places in the world where our Miss England chubster would be seen as underweight in the wife-choosing game.

Elliekp Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyway I am please to see more 'normal' looking girls hitting the headlines these days!!

In all honesty - I don't think she looks particularly normal or healthy.

From Wikipedia...

Chloe Marshall (born 27 March 1991) is an English plus-size model from Cranleigh, Surrey. Having won the Miss Surrey title in March 2008, she became the first size 16 (US size 12 to 14) model to reach the finals for the Miss England tiara.

Marshall has stated that she "wanted to go through to the Miss England finals to break the stereotype that you have to be tall and skinny to be considered beautiful."However, Marshall's Body Mass Index of 26.03, which is within what the body mass index classifies as overweight, has led to her being criticised for promoting obesity and ill-health.

The national finals for the Miss England title were held on 18 July 2008. Marshall came in second place. The same year, she was signed by the Models Plus agency.