Quoting Posts

Huguenot

We seem to be accelerating the Drawing Room into a 'Fisking' paradise.

For those that don't know, 'Fisking' basically entails a copy & paste of a previous post accompanied by a point by point rebuttal.

It was the original preserve of socially dysfunctional conservative schoolboys, but has crept into bulletin boards because they were popular with socially dysfunctional conservative schoolboys.

It's not only ugly and unreadable, but it defeats the object of the commentator because it renders the overall message lost in a world of annotated garbage.

The only person that is satisfied by a point by point rebuttal is the person who posts it. No-one else can read it, or cares.

To 'Fisk' is to demonstrate that you don't get it. It makes the 'Fisker' look like an idiot. And it also looks like you copy schoolyard children because you're impressed by them. Not great for adults.

We like rational debate and coherent arguments, not a dirty protest.

Please please please can we stop this ridiculous practice on the EDF?

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It makes the 'Fisker' look like an idiot.

How else do we respond to various points made in long posts, without it looking untidy? Also, I find it helpful in the sense that I am able to see at a glance to which (and who's) quote the poster is responding. It is also useful where e.g. some time has passed since X's post and Y's response (and where several posts have been entered in the meantime).

> We like rational debate and coherent arguments,

> not a dirty protest.

How does copying points from a previous post and subsequently posting a response to that post equate to a "dirty protest"? And how does the practice prevent debate being either rational or coherent?

I realise you will in all probability view this post as fisking (or as a dirty protest), but so be it.

*thinks: grumpy old man*

We seem to be accelerating the Drawing Room into a 'Fisking' paradise.

Who's "we"?

For those that don't know, 'Fisking' basically entails a copy & paste of a previous post accompanied by a point by point rebuttal. It was the original preserve of socially dysfunctional conservative schoolboys, but has crept into bulletin boards because they were popular with socially dysfunctional conservative schoolboys.

I do it all the time. And I am neither conservative nor a schoolboy

It's not only ugly and unreadable, but it defeats the object of the commentator because it renders the overall message lost in a world of annotated garbage.

No it doesn't. Bet you can still read this.

The only person that is satisfied by a point by point rebuttal is the person who posts it. No-one else can read it, or cares.

Yes they can. And yes they do. I found LadyMuck's reply simply fascinating.

To 'Fisk' is to demonstrate that you don't get it. It makes the 'Fisker' look like an idiot. And it also looks like you copy schoolyard children because you're impressed by them. Not great for adults.

No it doesn't.

We like rational debate and coherent arguments, not a dirty protest.

There's that "we" again. And who says that dirty protest isn't valuable?

Please please please can we stop this ridiculous practice on the EDF?

Shan't. And you can't make me.

" fisking

n.

[blogosphere; very common] A point-by-point refutation of a blog

entry or (especially) news story. A really stylish fisking is witty,

logical, sarcastic and ruthlessly factual; flaming or handwaving is

considered poor form."

Quite clearly doesn't apply...

Altho I was sure "fisking" was something else... something between two males... ah nevermind!

Ladymuck Wrote:

> My dear grumpy old Huguenot, presumably you have

> no objection to the winky-smiley-thingamijibs

> being utilised in the drawing room?

>

> *does a curtsy for legalbeagle".

Not at all old bean. Anytime.

Whilst fisking has its place from time-to-time (and the Chair's alter-ego has been guilty of it), the Chair is of the opinion that the Drawing Room participants are capable of reading, cogitating, digesting and discerning information from paragraphs of text without resorting to breaking it down in to bite-size chunks of meaningless sound bites.

The Chair does not wish for style guidelines to be drawn-up but merely asks that we all try and behave like well-rounded, intelligent adults and show those Lounge-types how it's done.

That is all.

pffft...prohibited from quoting Homer Simpson, unable to bring in bacon sandwiches, and now the practice of "fisking" is to be limited to "from time to time"?

It's all going to the dogs I tell you...to the dogs...(and grumpy old men).

Incidentally, isn't this thread ripe for tossing into the About This Forum section?

*clears off to The Lounge with lunchbox and can of cider*

I think it can be quite a useful way of answering someone - especially on a thread where there are lots of posters going off on tangents. I'm surprised anyone would find it unreadable. I find it can actually make a post a lot more readable, by providing context and setting out points clearly.

It's only a problem when the response takes a condescending, superior tone. A trait which if anything, is more common amongst the non-fiskers!

Jeremy Wrote:

> I think it can be quite a useful way of answering

> someone - especially on a thread where there are

> lots of posters going off on tangents.

Absolutely.

>I'm

> surprised anyone would find it unreadable.

Seconded.

I find

> it can actually make a post a lot more readable,

> by providing context and setting out points

> clearly.

Couldn't agree more.

> It's only a problem when the response takes a

> condescending, superior tone.

Spot on!

>A trait which if

> anything, is more common amongst the non-fiskers!

*falls off chair laughing*

Over to you grumpy old man!

I'm with the ladies (and Jezza) on this one. When responding to a particular point or series of points within a post it makes sense to be clear which aspects of a long post you are referring to. Agree that it can be annoying if badly done, of course - but that is true of almost any debating style. For example, deliberately mis-interpreting others' comments and responding with unnecessary aggressiveness really winds me up.