France is the best place to live says study

ruffers

I believe it's Nantwich quids.....says it all really.

I remember when Belgium came out top and the beeb interviewed some Belgians who agreed that it was a very nice to live but was definitely the most boring country in the world hence why they took more holidays than any other country.

But I don't really live here for the quality of life. It's about friends, earning potential and culture in that order for the moment (and the climate in London is actually pretty good).

I know it can be much better elsewhere as priorities change, and I do intend to settle somewhere where that's the case, when sunnier and a bit more boring is exactly what I'm after.

(though you couldnt pay me to live in Nantwich)

ruffers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If France Australia and New Zealand (for instance)

> are so great why are there thousands of them over

> here....?

I think you are seriously underestimating the amount of you living in France, Australia and New Zealand.

Just go visit any one of these places. Trust me, they piss all over England even though they?re full of poms.

Anything that is assessed on a country-wide basis will be an aggregate of such differing experiences as to be essentially meaningless. This quote:

'Romantic Paris offers the best of everything, but services don't fall away in Alsace's wine villages, in wild and lovely Corsica, in lavender-scented Provence. Or in the Languedoc of the troubadors, bathed in Mediterranean sunlight.'

doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the degree of analytical rigour employed in this survey.

If I had to live in a small town I'd pick France or Italy over the UK in a heartbeat (but at least part of the attraction is to live there as a foreigner - if I was a native in small town Italy I'd want to get out). If I valued sunshine over intellectual stimulation I'd move to Australia but as it is I'd rather live in Luxembourg - at least it's close to lots of more interesting places.

The French government supports families. They encourage families to have more children by giving substantial tax relief and also allowances. Therefore both parents don't have to work to support a family and can still be very comfortable. Together with more bank holidays, discounts on travel on public transport, childcare and amenities for larger families; makes for a better quality of life (for those who have family).

Cars near high-rise flats in Vilnius, Lithuania: The Baltic state came in three places above Britain in the list

I've been to Vilnius, and I don't think that photo is really a fair reflection to be honest.

I remember it more like

http://media.seal.com/uploads/2008/11/vilnius.jpg

Cars near flats in London, England

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/27/93/1279339_0735ea15.jpg

Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ruffers Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If France Australia and New Zealand (for

> instance)

> > are so great why are there thousands of them

> over

> > here....?

>

> I think you are seriously underestimating the

> amount of you living in France, Australia and New

> Zealand.

>

> Just go visit any one of these places. Trust me,

> they piss all over England even though they?re

> full of poms.

I'm sure that wasn't supposed to be as patronising as it it sounded (that means talking down to you btw ;-)).

I've visited all three of those places on a number of different occasions. And trust me, England pisses over them.

Just five minutes from Paris and you will find toilets in restaurants and bars that are little more than holes in the floor. Their toilet paper will leave your nether regions covered in papercuts and the people do not wash their hands.

France is full of the French (holds nose).

Really now, whose quality of life are they assessing? Flies???

Lived in France for 4 years (Paris and Lyon) can't say i think its the best place to live at all.

Brilliant place to go on holiday and have fun, but to live and work, London beats it in my opinion.

Agree Bois de Boulogne is only for day time, but still then you need to watch your steps if you go into the woods and its littered with used condoms. Parc Des Buttes Chaumont is pretty.

But, where else can you go to a pharmacy complaining of a sore throat and be offered a suppository?

Where is Sweden on that list?

High standard of living.

Free love with beautiful women.

They all have homes in the country as well as their urban place.

America 7th, when half the population seem to live in trailor parks?

Seattle was voted the best city to live in, and it rains all the time?

New Zealand with 60 million sheep, 3 million people and sitting on volcanic substances?