Happy StGeorges Day

????

Good?o! Happy. St Georges day. How should one celebrate this year then? The Spanish get excitable with red roses today which is nice but probably a little out of character for the English.

The trend in latter years to do a sort of red and white coloured version of that Irish day.

Now Irish crack does have much to recommend it but when translated into English it has the disadvantage that at some point some bugger always tries to start a morris dance. At least that?s what I think he was trying when he came at me with a stick. I had to take out my revolver and shoot him dead for good measure. We can?t have any of that sort of thing now can we.

Anyway I?m rambling?

across the downs as it happens on a warm August morning wearing nowt but striped woollen socks (knitted by a professional hurdy-gurdyerist called Deidre) and a pair of sensible shoes as it was Tuesday.

Henry!

Henry!

Bring my drinking spats. We?ve a day here to celebrate.

My Irish friends at Uni were well in to Paddy's day, but then again, they were well in to singing rebel songs, and generally acting like bomb throwers.

Aaaanyway, Scot's don't really bother with St Andrew's day, it's all about Burns night for them (or so my Scottish colleague tells me).

Paddy's day is nothing but a huge marketing triumph for Guinness, with slogans like "Only one Paddy's day, 364 practice days" and stuff like that. If it wasn't for Guiness, I doubt anyone would know when Paddy's day was.

I know there is all the stuff about the flag, and skin heads, and all that stuf these days, allowing the likes of Quids to scream "bleeding heart liberals", but seriously, was St George's day well celebrated in bygone days? I don't ever remember it as a kid, in fact, I don't think I knew there was a St George's day until I was an adult.

Anyway, as I say, it's all about marketing, but who do you aim your marketing at in a society like this?

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ...I just knew you'd all be far tooooooooo cool

> and pc.

>

> *Dons england shirt, hangs St Georges flag out of

> window, belts out Jerusalem, throws plastic chair*

St George, Quids? You are avin' a Turkish.

But thanks for the chair.

I guess the England flags I have seen today can stay in place until after the quater finals of the World Cup.

Part of the reason the Irish celebrate st patricks day is because its a national holiday and people have to take the day off school and work - and as its in mid March when the weather is rubbish the pub is a good place to go (after cumpulsory morning mass).

If everyone in England was off work today I'm sure people would find the pub a good place to celebrate.

I was off work today so I had a nice glass of wine with my lunchtime meal to celebrate George's day on your behalf. Just in case you were all busy at work.