First thing you do when you arrive somewhere new?

kpc

This is one of the regular questions from The Independent's My Life In Travel feature. Most people respond with anodyne answers such as check out the room/pool/minibar/unpack/shower. Not David Haye:

"Take a dump. My ritual is that I walk through the door, go directly to the toilet and unload. I don't know what it is, it's something about a new hotel".

So what do you do first thing?

*roars with laughter knowing really shouldn't*

Oh I don't believe you Willy-Woof...actually, on relection...

You are gross though...

...erm is your...erm...*coughs*..."companion" an especially rupture-proof model...I mean given your genetic make up...

http://www.healthydoggy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/dog-teeth.jpg

One of the questions I'm fond of asking people is "what is the first news story that you remember as a child?". My first was the Aberfan disaster, the first to penetrate my little girl world; quickly followed by some spectacular hotel fire tragedies. As a little girl watching TV I found those images very scary. To this day, before I enter a hotel room I have always clocked the fire escape route before I even get into the room. No exceptions. It'm on auto pilot.

Normally I would drop my bag in my room and go for a walk round to orientate myself to the locality. Or if my arrival is late, a nightcap at the hotel bar.

Today I have gone straight to the minibar for an ice cold Peroni - it's been a hot day and I need refreshment. And today I know my neighbourhood.

Strangely, on arrival reception asked if housekeeping should come to my room to help with any items of baggage that may need inflating.

I always find out where the nearest convenience stores are and their opening times. This also applies to moving house! As for the hotel room I too usually fiddle about with where the sockets are, back in the day it was essential to know if I could plug in my dial-up modem and what the local PAYG ISP was. Lame.

As for news stories, I think the first one I remember was the Gulf War starting. I broke my arm and was took to the local A&E by a very annoyed father, the nurse joked they had their first casualty of war as the TV in the waiting room blurted out details of our scud missiles. I think it was the first time my attention was ever pushed in the direction of news, as at 6 O'Clock time I was usually playing (hence the broken arm).

check out free stuff (toiletries etc) and read the Book to check out what services th ey offer (don't know why as basically all the same - but did get a surprise when staying in a hotel in New York on honeymoon, their room service menu included 'pleasure boxes' which were like bento boxes but with sex toys instead of Japanese food).