Travel money (where best to get)

Oily Telly Tyke

Probably not a useful answer for the OP, since I'm guessing you are travelling very soon, but Nationwide are very much your friend for international travel. We have an account with a Cirrus/Switch card, plus a credit card and it has saved me loads of money over the past few years. I woke up to this when I paid a 600 euro hotel bill on a different CC and paid nearly ?20 for the pleasure.

Before we travel we bung enough money in the account, then you can withdraw the local cash at ATMs anywhere. You get the Visa rate of exchange (i.e. very close to the 'proper' rate, rather than the rip off tourist rate - 1.47 euros to the pound at the beginning of the month) and no commission or charges. You save about ?50 for each ?1000 you spend.

The credit card is the same - no charges (unless you use it for cash withdrawals) and the same damn good exchange rate.

I can't recommend doing this highly enough.

• 2 weeks later...

IbizaBG Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mark & Spencers wins - hands down... every time

> !!!!

check the rates:

Post Office ?1 = ?1.37,

M&S - ?1 = ?1.38

Thomas Exchange Global ?1 = ?1.40

not much in it today, but I've seen a bigger difference in the past. Obviously, if you don't go through Victoria Station regularly, M&S & the PO are more convenient.

Barclays don't, I always just take cash out when I get there. Also as a general rule, be wary of no commission places, the rates are usually shocking (not in M&S though).

The absolute best is www.xe.com, which gives you the mid-market rate, but you need to be transferring it to another bank account in the country you're going to. Useful if you're visiting relatives, maybe - zap it into their account and then collect it off them when you get there.

Barclay's do charge, though not on a 'per transaction' fee basis. The small print from their website:

A 2.75% charge for Barclays handling costs and any VISA processing fees is included in the sterling conversion shown on your statement and applies to all foreign transactions. There is an additional 2% transaction charge (min ?1.50 max ?4.50) if you withdraw cash overseas via a cash machine or in a bank, except Barclays cash machines or those within the Global Alliance as listed below. If you use a cash machine outside the Global Alliance, you may also incur an additional service charge on top. There is a 2% transaction charge (min ?1.50 max ?4.50) if you use your card in the UK to obtain sterling anywhere other than a cash machine or Barclays branch, and currency or travellers? cheques anywhere other than a Barclays branch or Barclays website or via Barclays Travel Line.

So, take out 1000 euros at a foreign ATM with your Barclays Switch/Cirrus card and it'll most likely cost you ?4.50 Foreign Cash Withdrawal Fee plus 27.50 euros 'Foreign Loading Charge for the pleasure, i.e. about 24 quid in total.

Nationwide is - I believe - the only one that does not charge like this for debit cards.

• 2 years later...

I normally check the Money Saving Expert webiste on the best deals for travel money. It's totally impatial and shows up how bad the banks really are and all the hidden charges on their cards. There's also a great application if you need to exchange cash that tells you where the best places to go are.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money?dd

A question on the pre-paid cards. I did use a travelex one at some point and I think I stopped because my bank (Lloyds) had a charge for when I got travel money from a bureau de change, another bank etc, etc. Does transferring money onto the Fairfx card incur any fee from your bank?