Tessa Jowell MP - BBC election debate - Schools

Mick Mac

As Tessa Jowell is the only person so far to take part in the Drawing Room election debate, I have posted below a response she gave on secondary schools in December 2009 for general information, in case anyone is interested in her views on the local secondary schools issue (given prior to election fever).

Its not the response I was hoping for but it at least shows that Tessa Jowell has taken time to responding to individual questions and her committment to improving education in Southwark generally.

I think ED's primary schools have benefitted from this initiative but I don't think that there is any likelihood of another secondary school for ED in the near term. I get that impression from most parties.

Any party who will agree that there remains a gap in secondary schooling in central ED and will work towards achieving another school would get my vote. Many schoools that are often mentioned alternatives are not actually in ED.

But Tessa Jowell at least provided a detailed response and this is appreciated. Other politicians failed to respond at all or dodged the issue.

I think it stands Tessa Jowell in a good light given that she also contributed to the drawing room debate.

Since reading the response I have tried to find out more about Charter and Kingsdale and Ofsted seem to rate them both more highly with each visit. I think Labour have to be congratulated on the improvements in these schools.

Mick Mac - I drew this to Tessa's attention and her response is given below - kind regards from Tessa's Office.

My reaction in looking at the thread is that the view of Academies is too narrowly drawn. They serve the local community where they are based - not just deprived communities. I am certain that, whatever the misgivings may have been, the Boys' Academy will be academically successful and will be popular amongst local parents. That is why I campaigned so strongly for it.

In the case of you and your daughters I think that, as standards continue to improve at the Girls' Academy, it will become more attractive for East Dulwich families - as Kingsdale has. The measure of academic achievement in terms of GCSE results is good and improving at the girls' school which only became a Harris Academy three years ago.

The final 'pre-Harris' results were:

5 A*-C incl Eng & Maths: 29%

5 A*-C (any) 34%

The latest results from this summer show:

5 A*-C incl Eng & Maths: 51%

5A*-C (any) 66%

Remember that the Charter - just rated as 'outstanding' again by Ofsted - was previously the site of a failing, under-subscribed school that did not serve the local community. In 1995 6% of pupils at Kingsdale achieved 5 A*-C GCSEs - the figure this year is over 70%.

Everything I have tried to do on this issue has been geared towards delivering high quality local schools that will serve their local community: the Charter, the Elm Green School in West Norwood (the first parent promoted school in the country) the Evelyn Grace Academy in Brixton/Herne Hill and now the East Dulwich Boys' school. A good local school helps to build and strengthen a local community. I find no surprise in the fact that improving educational standards have seen more and more people opting to remain in East Dulwich and in other communities in my constituency when they have children.

This improvement has only been possible since we have had a Labour Government putting substantial long-term investment into buildings and staff. The buildings are there for all to see and I am pleased that teaching has become, once again, one of the top employment choices for some of our best graduates. It was shameful to us as a nation that any government allowed our schools to fall into such a terrible state as they reached prior to 1997. I am proud to have been part of a government that has been responsible for a huge improvement in educational standards across my constituency and beyond.

I promise you that, whilst I remain the local MP, if there is a need for extra school places, I will be at the front of the campaign to see them delivered. I have, after all, already helped to bring four new secondary schools to my constituency.

All the best,

Tessa Jowell

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> EDF

>

> Tessa

> I'd be interested if you can do better than James

> Barber in response to this thread. What planning

> is being done to provide quality secondary school

> education in ED in the next 5 years?

> I think the current shortage of primary school

> places that you have sought to deal with in recent

> months will be repeated at secondary school level

> in 5 years time or less.

> Many Dulwich parents are not going to want to send

> their children to an Academy and I think other

> provision should be planned for soon.

> Currently there is little secondary schooling in

> central east dulwich and I think this needs to be

> addressed. Otherwise its a choice of two extremes,

> an Academy or the financial hardship of fee paying

> schools. Neither of which is attractive to me. I

> have 2 daughters.

>

> Please let us know Labours plans.

>

> Michael.

I saw Tessa in LL the saturday before last she even smiled at me, and she's bothered to answer the Qusetions put to her by th EDF. I don't think anyone can criticise her for being complacent or not canvassing/engaging.