Pictures of East Dulwich Odeon (demolished 2001)

eusebiovic

Here are some pictures of the old East Dulwich Odeon (formerly Pavillion) such a shame that it was demolished in 2001.

I have a feeling that if it had hung on for 4-5 years longer...The good citizens of the ED Community wouldn't have allowed it to happen - and would now have an excellent multi-use facility...A great shame :-(

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=156514&id=314480941967&ref=mf#!/photo.php?pid=3996476&id=314480941967

Kindest Regards

Some new photos have been added to the facebook page...As well as the very fine pictures of the East Dulwich Odeon

There are some in the near vicinity like Camberwell,Catford,Elephant,Forest Hill,Old Kent Road,Peckham - I am sure you will all be amazed at some of the fine buildings which were obliterated from the South East London area with barely a peep from the local authorities regarding attempts to list/save these fine buildings...

I hope you will all enjoy them

Kind Regards ;-)

I'm glad you've all enjoyed the photos so far...

If anybody else has some photos of the East Dulwich Odeon or indeed any other cinemas in South East London - then please do not hesitate to share them with us on the facebook page:-

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=156514&id=314480941967&ref=mf#!/photo.php?pid=3996476&id=314480941967

We have over 2,700 fans so far! - Any extra support and encoragement would be much appreciated :))

Kindest Regards

euse

• 2 weeks later...

Continue to visit our page...Please help us reach 3000 fans by the end of the week!

I know it's a little cheeky but if East Dulwich has already lost it's cinema forever then it would be appreciated if everyone could help Camberwell retain it's last remaining one.

It's location a short bus ride between all the art colleges (Chelsea,Fashion,Goldsmiths,L.C.C) as well as being local to Camberwell College of Arts give it a great chance of establishing itself as a venue in central Southwark and within walking distance from all surrounding communities...We have a chance to give Camberwell a real chance to finally improve itself rather than complaining about how it never changes for the better - This building is a conduit to effect that change and perhaps the last opportunity left...

It has the potential to be an arts/cultural/community centre as well as cinema - It's what we need here! The auditorium can easily accomodate live music and theatre too!

Please Support Us

Kindest Regards,

Euse :)-D

• 2 weeks later...

We have now reached 3000 fans on our facebook page!

Thank you to all the good citizens of the East Dulwich community who have signed up to the page and supported our campaign so far :))

I know that perhaps everybody likes to look after their own patch and maybe not worry about neighbouring areas - quite understandable really...but there are people in Camberwell who are trying to improve the quality of life and create something positive here - Let's face it, Southwark Council's record over the last 40 years has left a lot to be desired...whether their intentions were good or ill-conceived - things should have evolved a lot better than they have :(

I like to think that a cinema/cultural building in Central Camberwell would have a good knock-on effect for East Dulwich in many ways as well as providing a local facilty within cycling/walking distance too - The ED Odeon was demolished in 2001 - imagine if it had held on just a tiny bit longer - I'm sure it would still be there...

If you could all encourage as many family,friends,neighbours and colleagues to join and support our campaign that would be hugely appreciated :))

Kindest Regards,

Victor Ferreiro (Cinema for Camberwell Green)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3996476&id=314480941967

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Camberwell-United-Kingdom/Cinema-for-Camberwell-Green/314480941967

www.CamberwellVillageHall.com

• 3 weeks later...

Please continue to visit our page - Also don't forget that this week is Camberwell Arts Festival 19th-27th June 2010

If successful in future we would consider it absolutely essential to give the building over to be used as a central hub along with Camberwell College of Arts and South London Gallery for future festivals...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/edit/?...n/314480941967

More than just a cinema...Thanks ;-)

Fliss @

woofmarkthedog @

This is a very good book - you may both be interested

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Social-Practice-Studies-Culture-Communication/dp/0415375142/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276979505&sr=8-2

:))

• 1 month later...

Planning permission has been applied for by House of Faith (R.C.C.G) to turn the last purpose-built cinema/theatre hall in Camberwell into a church. Help us to oppose planning permission and secure an arts venue for South East London along the lines of BAC or Camden Arts Centre.

Please take a look and sign our petition if you agree with a cinema/cultural/community facility for Camberwell - Remember, it will be also to the benefit of all neighbouring communities - including East Dulwich.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/camberwellvillagehallcampaign/

Also visit our webpage or facebook page which is listed at the beginning of this thread.

Kindest Regards

Euse :)

Please take a look at our facebook and homepage - If you agree with our proposals for the building then sign the petition too...

Finally if there is anyone who would like to lend their advice or expertise then we would greatly appreciate it. This is intended to be a positive conduit for Camberwell to develop in a more progressive way - It wouldn't just be a venue for SE5 - it would be open to all surrounding communities and South East London too.

Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark are well below the average for venues per head of population - Nowhere else in London has had it's venues decimated to the extent of what happened here. This bad practice of the last 40 years must be reversed - we have a credible chance to do this.

Thanks Again,

euse

• 3 months later...