spoil your ballot paper

steveo

Actually, it can be politically significant. In Oz, where voting is compulsory, the number of spoilt papers always counted and declared. For instance, the referendum for a hydroelectric dam in Tasmania back in the 80's offered two choices, neither of which the environmentalists liked. So, many people wrote 'No Dams' across the ballot instead. 45% of votes were 'spoilt' papers.

Unfortunately, in the UK where is not compulsory to vote, you just end up looking a bit dim and unable to follow simple instructions...

Spoiling your vote to make statement is just childish.

Politicians aren't like mummy and dadddy. If you fold your arms and stick your bottom lip out because you don't like something they won't go down to the shops and buy you a special treat.

Politicians only need to be elected. You 'train' politicians like you train a dog. If they cooperate you put them in power, if they don't you elect someone else.

A spoiled ballot effectively means you've stopped 'training' because you're in a sulk. As a result our politicians/dogs do exactly what they were doing in the first place.

This is so blindingly obvious that spoiling ballot papers is mostly the preserve of first year students and cross-eyed antipodeans.

I dont agree. To not participate at all is childish - its taking your ball home with you and sulking. By not participating you have no right to complain about the outcome.

Getting off your backside and going to the polls or posting your ballot paper is participating and subsequently gives you a right to moan and bitch to your hearts content.

A vote is a statement of belief in one of the options and a "spoilt" ballot paper is a statement of a lack of belief in any of the buggers; but it is still a statement and is a demonstration that you have fulfilled your civic duty to the wider polis.

The fact that your purple flower party didnt get in is unfortunate but at least you can throw brick-bats at those that did.

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How do you know?

Because I put a great big bloody tick in the box of the person I was voting for so why wouldn't it be counted? Unless the returning officer had a dislike of purple flowers.

Mrs Duffy is not going to participate in the process .. and I think it hasn't helped Gord. Her reasons are she supports Labour but finds Brown rather rude I think.

She seems to be refusing to sell her story too.

To paraphrase my post in the Drawing Room

Putting a cross against a candidate's name means I approve of the party and I don't. None of them.

Voting for the least bad candidate is like buying the least rotten fruit. Voting for any of this lot says that I condone theft, lies, wars and mediocrity. I don't want to be represented by any party that has members who in any other walk of life would be in prison.

Not voting is a vote for none of them. Creative destruction of the ballot paper given publicity might help spark the revolution man.