Tactical Voting

EDDW

I'd really like to vote for Andy Stranack - the Conservative candidate for Camberwell and Peckham. An interesting and genuinely concerned politician who not only believes in local and direct action but has been practising it for over ten years. However, the poll on the EDF makes it look more likely that a Lib Dem vote (for an apparent nonentity) would be a better bet to oust Harriet Harman - which seems to me to be a worthwhile outcome.

What to do? What to do?

I think the theory is...

http://frankowenspaintbrush.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/labour-1957-poster.jpg

1. if you want Labour to get in (read... do not want the Tories in power) and are in a Labour safe seat DO NOT vote for Lib Dem and undermine the chances of a Labour win for that seat

2 If you are in a Tory safe seat vote Lib Dem as they have a greater chance of pipping the Tories to the post

ps can not and will not give ANY advice on how to help the Tories... (don't believe a word he says..)

Given that Camberwell and Peckham is considered an "ultra safe" seat - http://www.voterpower.org.uk/camberwell-peckham - I'm taking the view that there's no point tactically voting in the ordinary sense of ousting the incumbent. So either vote for the party whose policies you most like (http://voteforpolicies.org.uk) or make a tactical decision about backing a party to up their popular vote.

Oh Jesus!

I know who I wish to vote for, and it aint one of the main 3 - so to speak (let's just say that they care about the environment;-)).

But, I am feeling increasingly pressurised by people who are telling me that I would be "wasting my vote". Normally I would tell them "up yours, I shall vote as I please". However, this time around, I genuinely fear a Conservative Government. I.e. I do not like the thought that a so-called "wasted" vote by me might contribute towards the Tories getting in. What the hell should I do?

Well, LM, I would say there are two reasons to vote LibDem in your situation:

1) A better chance of an improved voting system so, next time around, voting Green won't be wasted

2) If you live in Camberwell and Peckham, the chance to dump Mad Hattie out on her pointless, useless, sexist a*$e.

Except that the chances of voting out Harriet Harman are close to zero under this electoral system, so frankly every vote is a waste if that's your aim. If you really support the policies of another party then vote for them.

It's a lovely theory that an increased popular vote for the Lib Dems will increase pressure for a different voting system, but I don't buy it. The current system is obviously ridiculous but that didn't stop Labour going back on their promise to Ashdown. If the constituency were genuinely marginal with a choice of a Lib Dem win then maybe...

It's a lovely theory that an increased popular vote for the Lib Dems will increase pressure for a different voting system, but I don't buy it.

Actually, it could. In a hung parliament, the most likely coalition is Lab/LibDem. At the moment, the overall popular vote is slightly in favour of the LibDems and that would give them much more leverage in any coalition. In fact, if the LibDems come significantly higher than Labour in the popular vote, don;t be too surprised to see Nick Clegg pushing for the keys to Number 10.

(I think it would be a very smart move on Labour's part to let Clegg be PM. Unfortunately, Labour's high command doesn't tend to do 'smart'.)

So, deciding on a vote between Labout and LibDem in this election may have much more of a bearing than just who your MP is.

There was a 9% swing away from Labour in 2005 and although that still gave Tessa Jowell 45% (majority of circa 8,000) it is less than if the Conservatives & LibDem votes were combined. With the further influx of more affluent voters into this seat over last 5 years and discontent with Labour I can see this seat being very tight come the count.

I could not vote for Brown and his clowns he's had his go and made an appalling mess of the economy, I cannot bare to see that hideous, flesh crawling, smile of his either. He looks a tired ageing slob.

Lord Snooty is a no no, life just hasn't paid him out enough yet,

he needs a few more disappointments to put some doubts and humanity into his public schoolboy demeanor.

Clegg by a country mile, mainly because he hasn't dirtied his paws, yet. I will still expect him to change the voting system to make it more straight forward in future elections.

Did anyone else see a piece in the Observer over the weekend that said that, after the recent boundary changes, Dulwich and West Norwood is now one of the Labour seats considered most likely to go Lib Dem? (15th most likely, I think it was.) I hadn't seen it until a friend mentioned it to me - had been thinking that it was still safe as houses and TJ was all set. Seems that's not the case any more.

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Based on Woof's picture then the only thing to do

> when voting is remember the old rhyme:

>

> - If it's yellow, let it mellow

> - If it's Brown, flush it down

If it's BLUE...?

"Go to hospital PDQ"

W**F