Primark in peckham

kylie6097

Thought i would put this on here so that it doesnt happen to anyone else. earlier today i took my neice in her buggie into primark in peckahm, not used to having a buggie and not being aware of what goes on around i naturally left my handbag on the buggie, i went round and done all the shopping i needed, got to the til to find my bag open and purse GONE!!!! ?100 cash, bank cards the lot. i cannot believe it!!!! on top of this i must add i am 7 months pregnant. i came home, phoned all the necessary people and got told by my credit card company that whoever stole it where trying to use it at a cash point in peckham several times, luckily only getting away with ?20 from it. plus they had tried using it in argos, i stupidly had kept the pin number for that particular card in my purse becasue i could never remember it. i cannot believe this has happened, im normally so careful with my bag. just my luck!!!!

i never left it unattended thats why i have posted this. i have no problems with primark, and the security man actually said its a common thing happening in there, which is why i have made a point of putting this on here.

and thank you steve but im not asking for sympathy, im not asking for anything other than people seeing what is going on. its all i wanted to do.

it was my own stupid mistake but as a community i thought i would share what had happened so that it doesnt happen to anyone else

Forget about simple zips, and use a safety pin to pin down the bit you pull on to the fabric of the bag. My nana would use this when she went on shopping trips to the markets of Manchester and she swore by it.

kylie6097 - really sorry to hear what happened to you today. Thanks for warning people, though I think that sadly this sort of thing could happen anywhere.

Best bag to get for when you are pushing a buggy around is one with a long, wide, over-the-shoulder strap so that you can comfortably keep things close by at all times (purse, keys, phone) xxx

sue my bag had a zip and an inside one yet they still got into it. it is scary to think what people will do, my hand never left the buggie at all, at least one hand was on it at all times and yet they went under me carefully and got to it.

i agree katie i think the bags you mentioned are the best but no bag is better :) i wont be travelling around with money on me like that again nor will i travel with so much stuff on me full stop.

i do like the idea that nero has given so if and when i start trusting the world again with regards to my purse and belongings i will use this idea. seems like the only safe solution.

thank you all for your kindness but again i never wanted sympothy or anything like that, i just couldnt bare this happening to someone else.

Dulwichmum - there are problems with the use of both stocks and ducking stool in Peckham.

Firstly, both would get nicked.

Secondly pelting Peckhamites with vegetables whilst locked in the stocks would only serve to force feed them vitamin laden food stuffs not normally in their diet. Thus they would become healthier, quicker and more difficult for the Rozzers to collar.

Thirdly use of the ducking stool would give them an undeserved wash at the tax payers expense.

Capital punishment or at least the removal of an offending limb is called for.

Kylie wrote:- it was my own stupid mistake but as a community i thought i would share what had happened so that it doesnt happen to anyone else

Hardly a mistake, you were robbed by a thief, and even if caught nothing happens to them to dissuade them from repeating the practice.

About time Primark improved their internal camera surveillance.

Victim Support now supplies purse bells which make a noise (obviously!) when distrurbed-check website www.victimsupport.org.uk

kylie6097 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> sue my bag had a zip and an inside one yet they

> still got into it. it is scary to think what

> people will do, my hand never left the buggie at

> all, at least one hand was on it at all times and

> yet they went under me carefully and got to it.

>

> i agree katie i think the bags you mentioned are

> the best but no bag is better :) i wont be

> travelling around with money on me like that again

> nor will i travel with so much stuff on me full

> stop.

>

> i do like the idea that nero has given so if and

> when i start trusting the world again with regards

> to my purse and belongings i will use this idea.

> seems like the only safe solution.

>

> thank you all for your kindness but again i never

> wanted sympothy or anything like that, i just

> couldnt bare this happening to someone else.

About time Primark improved their internal camera surveillance.

Next time you are in Sainsburys, have a look around at the extraordinary number of CCTV cameras - there must be about 50 of them. Then wonder how it would be possible to monitor them all. Then ask them what their weekly shoplifting bill is.

CCTV is practically useless for identification (as the picture quality is so low), so unless you know who did the crime and when (i.e. you are actively tracking a known shoplifter) it has little purpose.

CCTV is well noted for preventing sod all crime. It's a salesman's wet dream - expensive, useless, but everybody wants it.

The picture quality is improved since they use computers hard drives to record on, its only on the tapes that they are crap mainly because they don't replace them frequently enough.

CCTV does work when done correctly Loz.

Yes, but there are still upwards of 50 cameras in Sainsburys, of which I am guessing exactly zero are monitored on a regular basis. Stick more cameras in Primark and you will get the same non-effect. Poor kylie6097 will still have her purse nicked. It is ineffective.

Even the Met admits that the crime fighting capabilities of CCTV are non-existent. And this is solving crime, where at least CCTV recorded images can offer come help. But preventing crime? Next to useless.

And it's worth remembering that Britain has over 20% of the world's total CCTV cameras. Has it worked? Do you see the crime rate plummeting?

No, me meither.

this is exactly why i have put this on here, cctv is useless.

so what we do now is use this place to warn people of where things are happening.

i know of a few people i have spoken to over the past few days that have had the same thing happen to them both in primark, 99p stores and peacocks.

i suggest as a community we get wiser and learn from each other. its the only way of beating these petty thieves.