Do you own Square Plates?

*Bob*

In the 19th century and before the Royal Navy served all meals on square plates - mostly with raised edges known as "fiddles", that stopped food falling off the plate in rough weather.

It is said that the phrase "a square meal" comes from the RN and that the term "fiddling" comes from the naval "crime" of overloading a plate to the extent that the food touched the fiddle - a sailor was alleged to have fiddled his colleagues out of their fair share of the food on offer. Fiddles still exist - tho' are simply fitted to the table now to stop round plates rolling around the table in rough weather.

No square plates in this household, tho' we do have a rectangular"ish" thing for serving long & thin dishes - swiss rolls, rolled joints of meat etc.

I have a set. When using a dish washer you always have a maximum diameter of plate that will fit. Square plates rule as you get more eating surface area for the same plate width.

Not sure what that says about me, I have some slates and shapely oak boards too. Nothing for Swiss roll though, must keep up.

Lawrence Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have a set. When using a dish washer you always

> have a maximum diameter of plate that will fit.

> Square plates rule as you get more eating surface

> area for the same plate width.

I hear you.. I mean, I don't look great in dungarees but the pocket sure comes-in handy.

*Bob* Wrote:

> I hear you.. I mean, I don't look great in

> dungarees but the pocket sure comes-in handy.

Bang on trend. Clogs are 'in' too. (well, they were last week..)

oh and no, I don't have square plates but I have pondered the question.....is it on a par with having that ghastly hexagonal glassware from the 80s? :O

Disclaimer: I'm sure YOUR square plates are great. Especially if they're made of beautiful welsh slate. Now thinking my boring old round plates are a bit, you know, boring.

I'm still waiting to hear what it does say about people. I don't know anyone with square plates - what does that say about me?

All I've managed to glean so far is that they somehow can be likened to dungarees.

Confused Of Peckham

You think you don't know anyone with square plates. You assume. You hope.

But then.. one weekend, round at Thingy and Wotsits. A glass of chilled white. Conversation, laughter and easy tunes. And then, just when you least expect it.. there they are. Square Plates.

round plates:

consistent margin between foodstuff and plate-edge (assuming foodstuff placed dead-centre). consistency, symmetry, harmony and happiness results.

square plates:

circumferential food-margin inconsistent, potential cuff soilage, possible spillage, annoyance, anger, loss of friends and social status.

*Bob* Wrote:

> You think you don't know anyone with square

> plates. You assume. You hope.

>

> But then.. one weekend, round at Thingy and

> Wotsits. A glass of chilled white. Conversation,

> laughter and easy tunes. And then, just when you

> least expect it.. there they are. Square Plates.

But Bobski, what will I be able to discern as a result? How outraged must I be? Is it just a little sniff and a subtle rearrangement of my disordered silver? Or do I have to fix them with a basilisk stare and sweep from the house, never to return?

We must know these things.

Well I just had to be honest with them, Moos.

We've known each other for a long time - and we've been through a lot together. The good times.. and the bad. The highs and the lows. But now we know you've got square plates, it's time we called it a day.