Exile on Main Street

????

Have it on vinyl but was never completley convinced by it...not listened to it for ages (Can no longer play vinyl). Should I go for it on CD with the new bonus tracks? Kieth/Jah and others (not Mick Mack or HonnieB)

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Stones have always left me cold, but I gave

> this album more chances than any other as it's so

> highly regarded. I still don't get it.

I think you have to be of a certain age Sean though there's plenty younger than you that do "get it." Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Decent thread alert!

I'm with the Captain....don't mess with a classic.

I have fond hazy memories of listening to this for the first time...21 years old, totally broke, but actually IN the south of France with a nice girl I was seeing at the time. We were staying near Nice in this wee villa (free) with a punchy stereo, ten cold beers and a view across the hills. Made sense to listen to it then.

GG/Keef - you're right the Stones are chasing the buck now but the reality is that they've always been business savvy since the earliest days. They moved to France in 1971 to work on Exile to escape a 93% top rate of tax. And as Mick Jagger has said about the film, "We weren't sure whether it was all over then....as moving abroad for tax reasons isn't really very cool".

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like ?I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive...? And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming: ?Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals??

:))