Parking ticket in Peckham Rye park

bonniebird

My parents came over yesterday for a bbq from East London and they stopped off in the park to walk the dog. Because it was hot, I told them to park in the car park on Strakers rd and stick to the wooded areas. The car park was full and everyone was parking on Strakers Rd, so my dad followed suit. He bumped his wheels on the pavement like everyone else and as he got out a warden pulled up behind them, he let my mum go past she thanked him and they went on there way.

When they returned to the car they had a ?120 fine(6) They didn't know they were parked illeagally and thanks to the @rsehole warden for warning them that they would get a ticket if they parked there (td) They are pensioners you w@nker >:D< tonnes of people got tickets, maybe they should spend that money on good signage warning you and fixing the holes in Strakers Rd, nice one Southwark(6)

Quite pk. Parking tickets are a nightmare and parking wardens are often very unpleasant BUT I am always slightly dismayed when people come on to the forum and moan about getting a ticket when they have parked outside of restrictions. I feel for the OP's parents but these days it's a bit daft to park anywhere unless you're absolutely sure you're not risking a ticket.

Whilst I agree that arguing with what sounds like a fairly issued ticket is pointless, the sad part of this is that traffic wardens no longer feel that warning people when they have the opportunity is part of their job. A couple of words recommending that the driver may want to park differently would have been welcome here. Sadly, the pressure to issue tickets these days means that this no longer happens.

Traffic wardens complain that the general public give them a hard time and their job is distinctly unpleasant. That may be true, but sometimes they don't exactly help themselves, do they?

Just from checking out google street view. Double yellows are marked from Peckham Rye for the first few metres of Straker?s Road to the access gate.

My first question would be to Southwark is to ask them where the highway boundary ends; I would hazard a guess that it is at the end of the double yellows. If it is not public highway it would not be possible to have a sealed Traffic Order to issue the PCN against. I would appeal the ticket on the grounds that it was issued incorrectly owing to no traffic order being in place.

I would think that Straker?s Road is private and comes under the remit of Southwark Parks and not the Highways department. If the road is private you are sort of into the private wheel clampers territory and there should be signs up warning you of fines etc.

I was there yesterday and only didn't park where everyone else did (i.e. on Strakers Road, where I have often parked) as a woman who had just been given a ticket warned us and we eventually managed to get a place in the car park. As we drove home practically everyone on Strakers Road had a ticket but people normally park there all the time, there are no signs on restrictions and I think everyone who parked there did it genuinely thinking they could. There were many groups of angry people and should think Southwark will be getting lots of appeals.

pk Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> you want signs saying that you shouldn't park on

> the pavement?

Yeah, if it helps all those people, then why not? As its a park, some people may think its ok to if the car parks full and the road is narrow, I'm more peeved that the warden just let them do it, what happened to helping people out? Like emc being warned by a kind passer by, as I would do myself. Just would have saved them ?60, my dad is really carefull and wouldn't have parked there had he known.

Strakers Road is Highways to the service junction on the left as you go down it and Parks beyond that!

Both the road and the pavement are in a dangerous condition. Highways views Strakers Road as non-priority and Parks have even used some of their budget to fix potholes at times. The pavement is hardly used for purpose as the shared cycle/pedestrian pavement is easier, smoother and more direct to the cafe, and park. Parking on the pavement is an offence, but in this case the warden could have very easily prevented the offence from happening by simply talking to the OP's parents. Issuing the ticket did nothing to prevent the obstruction, it was purely to penalise.

skidmarks Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just from checking out google street view. Double

> yellows are marked from Peckham Rye for the first

> few metres of Straker?s Road to the access gate.

>

> My first question would be to Southwark is to ask

> them where the highway boundary ends; I would

> hazard a guess that it is at the end of the double

> yellows. If it is not public highway it would not

> be possible to have a sealed Traffic Order to

> issue the PCN against. I would appeal the ticket

> on the grounds that it was issued incorrectly

> owing to no traffic order being in place.

>

> I would think that Straker?s Road is private and

> comes under the remit of Southwark Parks and not

> the Highways department. If the road is private

> you are sort of into the private wheel clampers

> territory and there should be signs up warning you

> of fines etc.

No disrespect to the original poster's parents but it shouldn't get to that kind of argument about technicalities. They parked with their wheels on the pavement; surely anyone in possession of a driving license knows not to do that unless there's a sign showing it's permitted? Don't they?

We can argue about whether the quote "@rsehole" warden should have warned them and whether there should be signs but it would have been easier if they just hadn't parked like that in the first place..

ruffers Wrote:

> No disrespect to the original poster's parents but

> it shouldn't get to that kind of argument about

> technicalities. They parked with their wheels on

> the pavement; surely anyone in possession of a

> driving license knows not to do that unless

> there's a sign showing it's permitted? Don't they?

>

>

> We can argue about whether the quote "@rsehole"

> warden should have warned them and whether there

> should be signs but it would have been easier if

> they just hadn't parked like that in the first

> place..

Not so, if they had parked with their wheels on the pavement further along the road where it is under 'Parks' the ticket couldn't have been issued by the warden as the road and pavement are out of their remit. However, there is no way of them knowing whether they are within the park or still on the public highway without being told. Also, seeing a long line of cars all parked with their wheels on the pavement understandably would make you assume, wrongly, that it is acceptable.

The ticket was issued correctly, but the warden had the opportunity in this instance to do the decent thing and warn them. Yes it would have been easier not to have parked they way they did, but even easier if they hadn't stopped off at the park or stayed at home, etc etc.

They were only slightly on the pavement, 2 wheels and he wouldnt do it on any street pavement, but in the park, you just don't know, I have been to places before and seen how others have parked and if its looked ok and not dangerous etc, I have done what others have done, I just think it should be clearer, I offered to help them pay, but pride and all that :(

Just to be a pedant, this sounds like a parking attendant not a traffic warden. Parking attendants work for private contractors and like any other private enterprise their motive is profit. Traffic wardens work for the Met Police and would have spoken to the driver.