Help choosing a new laptop

RichJ

Any advice from any computer whizzes much appreciated.

I am trying to choose a new laptop. Despite not being very computer literate, I think I have narrowed down what I want:

- big screen (at least 15 inches) - it is basically a desktop replacement and doesn't need to be portable (just want the option of working on the kitchen table or in study);

- HD screen (we have got just got an HD camcorder);

- at least 4GB memory;

- decent processor speed;

- at least 500GB hard drive (we have loads of photos and music);

- integrated webcam for skype calls with family;

- main uses - general office work, internet, photo and music storage, a bit of video editing; and

- cost of about ?1k.

I can't get a mac as they are not compatible with my work systems (I log in remotely).

I have been looking at models like the Dell Studio XPS 16 and the HP Pavilion dv6-2106ea but then keep finding reviews saying there are better options in that range. Unfortunately the reviews don't tell me what these better options are! I've been into places like PC World to try to get some advice but it has all been pretty low quality and google is just confusing me more and more. If anyone is a computer whizz and has a view on what would be a good model, I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

"I have been looking at models like the Dell Studio XPS 16 and the HP Pavilion dv6-2106ea but then keep finding reviews saying there are better options in that range."

Not sure how you arrived at one of the criteria being "Spend a grand" - why not just spend less if you can get what you need for less, and go on holiday / down the pub whatever with the money you save?

If you are planning to edit HD video you'll need a fairly fast processor, lots of RAM and a motherboard/video card with built-in HD (1080P) support (most have that as standard these days - best to make sure, though).

See if you can find an online laptop website with a 'configurator' that displays the price as you pick and choose upgrade options. It might help you decide the spec you need while keeping within your budget.

If you are planning to do video editing, you will probably need a Firewire connection as well. Most video cameras need one.

You have have a pretty good list of requirements - you should be able to shop with that. Providing you recognise the name, you should be OK. Though I would say:

- big screen (at least 15 inches) - fine

- HD screen (we have got just got an HD camcorder) - fine

- at least 4GB memory - you can always put more memory in from Crucial or Kingston. Don't let this be a showstopper.

- decent processor speed - look for a dual core, especially of your video editing software can make the most of it.

- at least 500GB hard drive (we have loads of photos and music) - I put all mine on a portable USB drive. More than one, in fact (just in case). 320GB should be fine and will give you greater choice.

- integrated webcam for skype calls with family; - Shouldn't be a showstopper - portable cams are cheap and probably better quality that integrated.

Have a look at reputable online stores like DABS that often have some rather good deals.

I would look at the Dell website rather than through other sites like amazon, as then you can completely personalise the laptop. So you can choose a laptop, choose the processor, then add the amount of memory and hard drive space, you can choose which screen you want (like for the Studio 15, you can choose between HD and HD widescreen), you can change the battery also. It means you get exactly what you want, but remember if you have high needs, everything need to be powerful, so having a less powerful power supply won't help much with a powerful machine.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks everyone. Ruffers - fair point, I made it sounds like I was committed to spending at least a grand. I should have said that I'm prepared to go up to a grand but anything less that ticks all the boxes would do very nicely!

Personally, I like HPs. I've had a couple of bad experiences with Dells.

And jaybee82, you can say what you like about Sony Vaio's, but I've never heard them described as 'cheap'. You have to pay for all that shinyness, you know!

One thing you need to think about is operating system if you are going for windows 7 then the 32 bit version of it can only use up to 4GB of RAM but 64 bit can use more which will be very important with HD video editing

I have bought Samsungs for the last 3 laptops and they've taken quite a beating and run well

I ordered my laptop yesterday and have just seen some of the more recent comments. Im afraid to say that I have gone for a Sony Vaio! It is the Sony Vaio F11S1E/B. It ticked all my boxes and seemed to get universally good reviews. Hope it doesn't prove to be a disastrous decision. Looked long and hard at a Dell but it seemed to have real problem with overheating, which doesn't bode well for a long life-span.

Personally, I really like Sony Vaios: I have one myself at the moment and am really happy. Also, if style is important to you, they are, I think, the coolest designed PC laptop - you wouldn't be embarassed next to a Mac. Here's a link to the E series where you can configure to your hearts content:

Vaio E Series Link

If you go for all the bells and whistles, it works out at around ?930 (it starts at ?739).

Just one more thing - I wouldn't worry about storage capacity on a laptop (although this one gives you 500GB), because you are going to want an external hard drive any way I'd think (if only for back up and recovery) and the 1TB and 2TB ones are pretty cheap these days.

Good Luck

NB: you can get Mac see below...

For Laptop - Apple MacBook, ideally Pro but more ??. 15inch MacBook Pro ~?1500 (sorry just seen you don't want to spend more than 1K. Definitely recommend below - get a lot more for your money!

But more ideally the iMac. Bigger screen, cheaper and definitely better for your posture!

MacBook Pro

iMac

Sorry really not reading properly at all today - We have a Mac and parallel desktops. We can run different operating systems simultaneously and then swap between them. I don't understand exactly as my husband sorts it all out but it's easy to do.

Found these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallels_Desktop_for_Mac#Overview

http://www.parallels.com/uk/products/desktop/