New to West Dulwich

ciare

I know this isn't the West Dulwich forum, but please be kind as I used to live in East Dulwich, and not having much luck in the West Dulwich forum.

Hi, I have just moved to the area(Elmworth Grove), and just have a few questions.

I only know of the following buses that run near where I live, 3, P13, and P4.

Are there any other bus routes nearby? My husband works in Vauxhall, and starts at 6am, judging by the timetable bus 3, doesn't start running a day time route until 5.45 am.

Where is the nearest supermarket, and off licence?

I know Tesco Express is near, but that is to expensive for me to do a full shop there.

Are we nearer to Norwood, than Camberwell?

Hope I can get some answers, thanks for helpng.

ciare Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I know Tesco Express is near, but that is to

> expensive for me to do a full shop there.

>

Then go elsewhere, one of the buses will take you to what we call a 'supermarket' where the goods may not be to expensive.

> Are we nearer to Norwood, than Camberwell?

Why would you need to know? Norwood's rotten, Camberwell is groovy, inasmuch as it is home to Rock Steady Eddie's cafe. Nuff said.

>

> Hope I can get some answers, thanks for helpng.

Glad to be of assistance.

Townleygreen Wrote:

> Are we nearer to Norwood, than Camberwell?

>

> Your nearest s'market must be Sainsbury's at

> Crystal Palace (this area is ruled by Sainsbury

> unless you fancy the trek to Waitrose in

> Beckenham.

Ciare, I urge you to treat this advice with the utmost caution.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that TownleyG has any connection with Sainsbury, but at the same time I'm not saying he or she hasn't.

The nearest supermarket to you is of course Tesco in Brixton, Acre Lane to be precise.

You can't miss it looks like the housing for a swimming pool from the outside.

It's a reverse Tardis, inasmuch as it is so much smaller on the inside as it looks from the outside.

Good luck.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> Townleygreen Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Are we nearer to Norwood, than Camberwell?

> Ciare, I urge you to treat this advice with the

> utmost caution.

> The nearest supermarket to you is of course Tesco

> in Brixton, Acre Lane to be precise.

> You can't miss it looks like the housing for a

> swimming pool from the outside.

> It's a reverse Tardis, inasmuch as it is so much

> smaller on the inside as it looks from the

> outside.

> Good luck.

Good luck indeed...

First welcome to the area ( the others can be so rude )

Avoid the Tesco's above, it's like an unreformed branch of social services. Shop instead at the Upper Norwood Sainsburys, far more civilized

Though do buy your bread & fancies at the "Blackbird Bakery" opposite the supermarket

Once you are a little more acquainted with the area, branch out & shop on Lordship lane in East Dulwich, we have an excellent Butcher or three, a very good fishmonger plus a good supply of independent high quality greengrocers

You also can explore the West Norwood high street, it's lively at times but there are a few gems

Lastly, the Dulwich College has a farmers market as does Upper Norwood

Whatever you choose, enjoy & if you need anything, just ask

W**F

* unbuttons muzzle & breathes *

Camberwell is groovy, inasmuch as it is home to Rock Steady Eddie's cafe

Clearly you've never eaten in there.

Though I wouldn't recommend attempting to eat in there, an old flatmate of mine once fell asleep face down in one of Rock Steady's breakfasts after a particularly enthusiastic session. Claimed it made a very comforting pillow.

Welcome to West Dulwich!

The number 3 goes all night long - how else is the aupair supposed to get home from Tiger Tiger at 3 am?

There is an enormous Majestic Wines on Park Alleyn Road and and Oddbins on Rosendale Road, they also sell alcohol (if you like Thunderbird and Bacardi Breezers) at Tesco.

The nearest supermarket is in Crystal Palace - Sainsburys, but only go there if you would like to be murdered. Instead, head to Sainsburys in Dog Kennel Hill, East Dulwich. The clientelle look a little like a Thriller flash mob, but they are harmless enough if you wear a handknit alpaca jumper, you should blend in well enough.

NEVER go to Norwood unless you would like to catch Hepatitis in a blingtastic nail bar, receive a good kicking, and a parking ticket, and as for shopping in Tesco at Acre Lane (clutches chest) - it is not for everyone; only go there if you would like to observe gun crime, up close and personal.

• 1 year later...

Hello

I live on Park Hall Road, West Dulwich so I know where abouts you are.

Your husband needs to walk up to West Norwood (less than 10 minutes) and catch the no2 bus outside Sainsbury's Local, that goes to Marylebone and passes through Vauxhall. There are a few other bus routes from West Norwood that are useful, the no68 to Euston passes through Camberwell, Elephant, Waterloo, Holborn before ending at Euston. West Norwood train station is on the same line as East Dulwich train station, so you can get trains to London Bridge from there. The West Dulwich train station goes to Victoria and Orpington, passes through Bromley which has a nice shopping centre with a large Primark if you don't fancy going to central London or Croydon. You can get the no3 to Brixton for the nearest tube station. You can catch a no322 bus on Park Hall Road (past the Rosendale towards West Norwood), the 322 goes to Clapham.

As for supermarkets, there was talk of redeveloping West Norwood and having a supermarket there, but nothing seems to have come of it, so we aren't served very well in this area for supermarkets. The no3 to Crystal Palace takes around 5 minutes and you can walk from the bus station to Upper Norwood Sainsbury's, don't be put off with it being Upper Norwood as it is right on the border with Crystal Palace and most assume it's in Crystal Palace. I sometimes get the P13 and go to East Dulwich Sainsbury's, the bus goes all around the houses though and takes a while, I think that is why a lot from West Dulwich tend to shop in West Norwood and Crystal Palace if they haven't got a car. If you fancy ride out you can get the 322 and go to Clapham Sainsbury's. I do go to Brixton Tesco on occasion, but only if in the area. I also use Tesco online, in West Dulwich using Tesco online the goods come from Croydon Tesco which is a large store so there is a large and varied choice of what you can buy online.

More to the point - who moves to an area without bothering to find out where the shops are and how to get to work?

Is that not the thing you check after making sure the house isn't falling down?

And also.....why does no one ever use bloody google?!

Bah, I'm grumpy this morrow.

dulwichmum Wrote:

> There is an enormous Majestic Wines on Park Alleyn

> Road and and Oddbins on Rosendale Road, they also

> sell alcohol (if you like Thunderbird and Bacardi

> Breezers) at Tesco.

The Oddbins, I believe has gone t*ts-up like the rest of the chain, but will soon be re-opening as an independent.

The Majestic is really quite good - the staff there are knowledgeable and friendly. And have too much of my money.

West Dulwich is a south London tart that attracts the gullible - look at me - lovely houses, wide roads, lots of greenery, near to the parks and close to Crystal Palace, East Dulwich, Dulwich Village, even Brixton and you get so much more for your money.

In reality it's closest neighbour is the permanently downbeat West Norwood that will never come good, transport connections are rubbish and the bars of Crystal Palace, East Dulwich and Brixton are all just a bit too awkward to get to easily without endless walking or cabs, the most lively thing in West Dulwich is I'm afraid Tesco Express.

People of West Dulwich admit it, you were fooled, duped, hoodwinked, you were I'm afraid another crime statistic, another innocent victim of the estate agent mugger.

In you seek to defend it "there's a new bar in West Norwwood that looks promising" or "it has a nice butchers" are inadmissable evidence.