Gardening Tips for June ? From The Potting Shed

Dulwich Gardening

As the gates close on another outstanding RHS Chelsea Flower Show, so we turn to our own gardens and outdoor spaces. Longer and sunnier days, mixed with warm light evenings make June the month when even the most reluctant gardener will enjoy spending time outside.

Everything is filling out and starting to come into full bloom and although it?s really a time to sit back and enjoy all your hard work there are still some essential jobs to do for the month.

The Garden

? June is one of the most popular months for buying perennials and shrubs so give them a good start with compost and plenty of water.

? Think about the locations in your garden i.e. full sun, shady, damp etc and buy plants to suit the area rather than what they look like.

? If you are planting Summer bedding then remember that most of the plants only have small root systems so are going to need water and food regularly.

? Hedges and topiary can be clipped and feed

? Prune shrubs that have finished flowering. In mature plants, you can cut out whole branches that have flowered to open up the shrub and promote new growth.

? Spray roses against pests and diseases where necessary and dead-head large-flowered and cluster-flowered roses that have finished flowering- this will promote a second flush of flowers later in the year.

? If you have hanging baskets or containers, try and water these at least once a day preferably early morning or evening when the sun is cooler.

? Many young plants, including fuchsias, benefit from having their shoot tips pinched out to encourage branching. If left, shoots can grow very long while pinching out creates bushier plants with more stems that ultimately carry more blooms

The Lawn

? Feed your lawn with a fertilizer or after-cut, if you didn't do it last month. If weeds or moss are still a problem you could tackle them or just try and keep them under control till early autumn and apply a weed and feed.

? Mowing should now be done with the blades set low, unless the weather is very dry - in such conditions a medium setting will be better for the grass Aerating your lawn will enable it to take up moisture as well as improving drainage, so if you didn't do it earlier in the year it's worth doing now. However, don't do it in really dry conditions - best done after rain.

Fruit & Vegetable

? You can start planting out young leeks, Brussels sprouts and broccoli this month.

? Earth up potatoes. Drawing the soil up around the stems in this way will prevent tubers that form near the surface from being green and unfit to eat.

? Prune fruit trees and harvest soft fruit

? If you have a lot of herbs, another way of preserving them is by chopping them and freezing into ice cube trays. This is especially good for parsley, basil, mint and whole borage flowers. Add one tablespoon of water to each tablespoon of herbs.

Happy Gardening

Dulwich Gardening Company

In association with David Cheetham Gardens

Hi.

Two requests.

I'm looking for a climber for a SWest facing bare, sunny fence that needs to be in a container.

Plus a climber for a dark shady corner (under trees)so not sun anywhere to find)

Both need to be kid friendly

Any suggestions and ideal planting times?

Much thanks.

Hi ????

Fortunately climbers are very robust and there's a variety or group for every location. One thing to consider is that climbers do better in the ground so if you are using a container it's going to need plenty of quality compost/soil and regular feeding.

For the container you should look at Honeysuckle- Lonicera varieties are among the favourites for a

sunny wall or trellis . The early flowering Lonicera Belgica is one of the best for fragrance being at its strongest in the evening. The later flowering Lonicera Serotina extends the season with flowers into September.

Clematis is a superb climber and come in a range of colours. The Montana varieties give early colour, from May and the large flowered hybrids give Summer colour.

For the dark shady corner look at the climbing Hydrangea - Hydrangea Petiolaris is one of the best, it is self clinging with brilliant green leaves in Spring and cream flowers in mid Summer, in Autumn the leaves turn golden yellow. Or you could try Clematis Nelly Moser which has rose pink flowers, each petal striped dark pink.

All the Ivies, Hedera Varieties especially the golden leaved kinds will brighten up any dull corner even in Winter.

I hope this helps

in association with David Cheetham Gardens

Hi Steve T,

I wouldn't mind a cutting if there is one going as I have a back wall trellis in need of a vigourous climber.

With regards, planting there isn't really an optimum time as we plant and replant gardens throughout Feb-Nov weather permitting and things seem to thrive. If fact have just received some new Chelsea clematis this week and planted out over the weekend.

The knack is to plant with plenty of good compost, water regularly and feed once a week for a month to help the plants establish. As and when then start to spread, make sure you tie them in.

I hope this helps.

Although the weather keeps changing with the odd day of showers now and again, it's probably a good time to start thinking about your 'watering techniques' as the environment agency and local councils are already talking about water shortages.

If you are on a water meter, then a hosepipe that uses approx 800- 1,000 litres per hour will have it spinning, so here are a few useful tips to help conserve water and the bank balance;

Put down a mulch either across the garden or around specific plants - not only does it help with water evaporation, it will also help to keep the weeds under control.

If you have easy access to a downpipe from the roof, why not install a water butt? There's a huge range available and costs start at about ?25.

Grey water - yes from the sink, shower and bath is OK (once it's cooled) for your plants providing it doesn't have high levels of detergents/chemicals. Do not use it on veg or fruit crops though.

I hope this helps.