Warning - PC scam to steal your credit card and bank details

Lollipop

For those who have PCs at home, I wanted to warn you about a new scam. You receive a phone call from an Indian call centre that claims to be Microsoft and they claim they have had a report that your machine is infected. They will then ask you to log onto your home machine, allow them to connect to it, ask for your credit card details and install some software on your machine to ?clean? it. In fact what they want is your banking and credit card details. It has happened to a friend of mine who has had to change all her details and have her PC wiped.

They have called me twice and I said I wasn?t interested. They then quite abusive towards me and I had to threaten to call the police before they hung up.

Here is a link from an Australian web site ? they are obviously moving onto the UK now

http://apcmag.com/phone-con-no-that-is-not-microsoft-calling.htm

and here is a general warning from Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/fraud/phishing/msname.aspx

They will then ask you to log onto your home machine, allow them to connect to it, ask for your credit card details and install some software on your machine to ?clean? it. In fact what they want is your banking and credit card details.

They probably do also install software on your PC, though of the nasty variety.

This sort of thing has been going on for a while, I had a similar call a year or so back, they said my PC was running very slowly blah blah.

I was very suspicious as I couldn't see how they could possibly know, from Microsoft or anyone else.

Don't know what would have happened if I'd agreed to let them connect to the PC as they wanted, as I said I wasn't interested, however they weren't abusive.

I wouldn't let M$ do that

and I certainly wouldn't give them my credit card. Is it part of the scam that you would pay microsoft for local PC support.

It's the old hangup from me I'm sorry - I've been hanging up a lot lately :)

JohnL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I wouldn't let M$ do that

>

> and I certainly wouldn't give them my credit card.

> Is it part of the scam that you would pay

> microsoft for local PC support.

>

xxxxxxx

No Microsoft have nothing to do with it :))

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but you must be a bit of a numpty if you hand over your credit card details to a complete randomer who calls you up out of the blue with an obvious cock and bull story without checking them out first

Thanks for the tip-off!

As it happens, I need to keep my bank details extra-safe at the moment because I've just invested in a new Nigerian diamond mine - and won the Spanish Lottery - which means I'll soon be a very wealthy man.

*Bob* Wrote:

> Thanks for the tip-off!

>

> As it happens, I need to keep my bank details

> extra-safe at the moment because I've just

> invested in a new Nigerian diamond mine - and won

> the Spanish Lottery - which means I'll soon be a

> very wealthy man.

I've been meaning to contact you Bob, my father was the recently overthrown king of Nigeria, and in order to protect his vast riches I require an impartial party such as yourself to hold the billions in their account, please PM me your account details and you will be rewarded in course

ruffers Wrote:

> Does this even qualify as a scam?

Firstly, please PM your bank details to me - all data will be held in the *strictest confidence*.

Once I have verified that you are who you say you are, I will supply you with an answer to your question, gratis, of course.