Great debut albums, that were never lived up to

Keef

Had this chat with a couple of band mates the other day.

Counting Crows - August & Everything After

One of my favourite albums. There have been a few wonderful songs on later albums, but this one was their best by a mile!

Alanis Morrissette - Jagged Little Pill

Annoys me a bit hearing people slagging this album off these days. I f*cking bet you bought it at the time though!!! I'll still admit I loved it, and although it's aged badly, it still has some good tracks. It was absolutely massive world wide, but she's never gotten anywhere near it since.

Killers - Hot Fuss

I couldn't stop playing this when it came out, and think "Jenny was a friend of mine" os one of the best opening tracks I've heard. Some friends of mine think Sam's Town was a better follow up, but for me, they've gone downhill since their debut.

The Feeling - 12 stops from home

Bought this because I liked "Fill my little world", and really really liked the album. Pop./Rock with lots of great harmonies. Everything I've heard of them since this has been absolute shite. I think they made it big on the likes of Capital Radio, so had to lose the rock part of pop/rock.

Counting Crows is always the most obvious for me.

While Pearl Jam have released some awesome music over the years none of their albums work together as a whole quite as well as Ten did.

Guns and Roses are another obvious one for me.

Sandperson Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am the only person in the world who thinks

> Second Coming is a great album....

Me too. One more and we have a conspiracy.

Can't agree with The Sundays, RWA is a great love of mine, but still sounds like a mellow and pretty Smiths tribute album, whereas Blind really solidified their own sound (bland but lovely).

Marquee Moon, and it's one of my favourite albums (it is prog though, go on, listen again), I'm constantly told is missing the point as apparently they were all about the live sound and even that album was recorded towards the end of their career.

Can Flowered Up's A Life With Brian count if they didn't actually do a follow up?

Growing Pains - Billy Myers - Kiss the Rain has to be one of her all time bests!

Portishead - Dummy - Glory Box (LOVE IT)

Thanks for posting this thread keef, you've just reminded me of some my favourite albums, must dig them out!

And no I'm not ashamed to admit that I love bit of Morrisett's Ironic.

Killers - dito.

Sorry to digress from topic but I personally think it's good that music produced by some of the most exceptional indie bands aren't channelled through mainstream commercial radio.

OK, so far:

Marquee Moon agree that Television never reached these heights again and also agree that they were superb live, saw them on the Marquee Moon tour;

Signing Off thought about this but think that there were still a number of good tracks on Present Arms;

Horses soooo iconic album but both Radio Ethiopa and Easter are great albums. Wave was the start of the decline, but really enjoyed Trampin' (2004) except the title track;

12 Stops From Home should really be in the guilty pleasures thread, a delightful pop album.

I also agree with Is This It and Up The Bracket but will disagree with The Killers - Sam's Town is a fine album.

Will distract myself later going through my collection....

12 Stops From Home should really be in the guilty pleasures thread, a delightful pop album.

Quite right.

Sam's Town has some good tracks, but just didn't "do it for me".

Quick mention for Smashing Pumpkins. They actually managed 2 good albums in Gish, and Siamese Dream, but it was down hill from there.

Keef Wrote:

>

> Quick mention for Smashing Pumpkins. They actually

> managed 2 good albums in Gish, and Siamese Dream,

> but it was down hill from there.

What's wrong with Adore - maximum 500 words.

*Bob* Wrote:

> Dexys! SFTYSR

Still one of my all time fave's but Too-Rye-Ay a very good album.

Should The Modern Lovers be counted as a one-off or including with the other works by J Richman and The Modern Lovers?

kpc Wrote:

> Sandperson Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I am the only person in the world who thinks

> > Second Coming is a great album....

>

> Me too. One more and we have a conspiracy.

I'm your third. It's pretty good. I just think by the time Second Coming out we'd all forgotten about them. And the band imploded which killed any come back fever they may have started to gather.....

Modern Lovers... That was their only release wasn't it? In that case, they can't have been a let down :)

Some suggestions..

Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction. Not my thing really, but of its type it's a massive standout record.

Arcade Fire - Funeral. They have chance now to make up for the overwrought 2nd record (lot of people like it though).

Beta Band - 3 eps. What happened?

Nas - Illmatic. A classic record, but aside from the odd track it's been humdrum since.