Tortoise (I think) found at Forest Hill station

soully

Hi all,

I was exiting Forest Hill station tonight at about 10pm when I found what I think is a tortoise by the barriers, since there are no gardens or anything nearby I can only assume somebody intentionally left it there for someone else to find. If I'd have left it someone could have stepped on it, so it's now sitting in a cardboard box in my living room with some salad and a saucer of water.

Are there any tortoise/turtle experts nearby who could provide a home for the little guy (or know anyone in Forest Hill who's lost one)?

Fuschia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That looks more like a terrapin than a tortoise...

>

>

> Pinched from a pond or lake by a heron maybe, and

> dropped?

We're thinking the exact same thing, it has webbed feet and from our web investigation this morning we're thinking it's one of these:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-yellowbelly.htm

Time to call the RSPCA I think

Oh wow, did you have any luck with the poster? I've had tortoise's all my life, they are beautiful creatures. My mothers friend found her giant tortoise on the side of the motorway, they do end up in funny places sometimes. If you end up needing to find a good home for the little guy PM me to let me know, my mother is currently looking for another tortoise, she currently has two that she has had for 13 years and 2 years.

Have only just seen the picture. That is definitely a terrapin.. RSPCA are your best bet, I believe a good few of this variety are unwanted and unfortunately get flushed down toilets and end up in drain systems and streams etc. Sad what some people will do, these are supposed to be very snappy and quite vicious. How are you finding him? He does need to be in water, but I'm guessing you know this :)

Good luck with him.

We have had quite a few of these over the years.. they start off like a 50p piece but end up like a dinner plate. Not found any to be snappy but they do outgrow their tanks if you look after them well!

We used to feed ours on bits of liver, I think you can also buy frozen food

Well we've called the RSPCA and they're hopefully going to come take it off our hands today, so until then he is chilling in our bathtub, no bites so far but I haven't tried to share a bath with it just yet.

All a bit strange really, I've never sat on a 176 carrying a terrapin before.

• 2 months later...

Fuschia Wrote:

> That looks more like a terrapin than a tortoise...

>

>

> Pinched from a pond or lake by a heron maybe, and

> dropped?

How does one know the difference? I've just seen one of them swimming in a pond in Peckham Rye Park. I was quite surprised. How might it have got there, experts?

Narnia Wrote:

> Fuschia Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > That looks more like a terrapin than a

> tortoise...

> >

> >

> > Pinched from a pond or lake by a heron maybe,

> and

> > dropped?

>

> How does one know the difference? I've just seen

> one of them swimming in a pond in Peckham Rye

> Park. I was quite surprised. How might it have got

> there, experts?

If you had them side by side they are very different, I think that when they get too big, they grow to the size of a dinner plate, people "set them free" in ponds cos they can't cope anymore.