Norwood Country Park - anyone been there

Goodliz

BeccaL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is that the one the other side of Crystal Palace

> with the lake? If so, we stumbled upon it once -

> quite nice - would probably be good for a run.

It might be that one. It is past IKEA on the A23 where an old airport used to be. It looks really big and a bit wild. Thought it might be nice for a change. Thanks.

sorry, was thinking of somewhere else much smaller and nearer - I think it's called South Norwood Lake. Have driven through the one you mention and it's much bigger - agree looks like a good place to run/cycle!

I'm really confused where we're talking about!

Where the old airport used to be is now a hotel - I think?

There used to be a huge green space on the other side of the Purley Way to the airport, just past the diving board which used to be part of an open air swimming pool and is now part of Wyevale Garden Centre. But I haven't driven beyond Wyevale for ages, so I don't know what's there now.

And I used to live in Howden Road, off South Norwood Hill, near the lake at South Norwood, and I did think the area around that lake had been turned into a country park, though I haven't been back there for years?

Can someone enlighten me as to exactly where we're talking about, and why it's called Norwood Country Park if it isn't in Norwood? :))

South Norwood Country park is east of Norwood junction. See the following map

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=51.403811,-0.063171&spn=0.026825,0.077162&z=14&msid=105751176061361069046.00048933fa87ed9f7710b

The first link you get if you type "South Norwood Country park" into Google is :

http://www.croydon.gov.uk/leisure/parksandopenspaces/parksatoz/southnorwoodcountry/

Thanks - nowhere near Norwood Lake then :)

I'm confused about the reference to Ikea and the A23 though? But then I never did have any sense of direction, and as I go to Ikea via Crystal Palace/Thornton Heath maybe Norwood isn't on my radar as being near it ....