Going to Nigeria

d0m1n1ka

My husband always brings a travel kettle with him when he visits Lagos. The first time he stayed there, in a very upmarket hotel, he found a pair of pants in the kettle that someone had clearly been boiling and forgot about (OHMYGOD).

Just sayin...

Lovely Narnia,

Who is this Lar Cunningham of which you talk?

I have been invited to the Gurgle Blogging awards at The Soho Hotel. I know that I have not won, I am simply going along to see if Myleen has a mustache, I have been wondering about this for some time...

Jimmy two times, you are a complete scream. I seem to have been laughing all day today.

Thanks for that.

I ran a Wordless Wednesday Competition on my blog today, and the first person to enter (they left a comment) was a complete blinder. I almost dislocated my jaw laughing!

http://www.dulwichmum.net/wordless-wednesday-13#comments

• 2 months later...

i went to lagos in 2007. I didn't like it and i have so many friends there. It was very chaotic, dirty and noisy. The traffic was horrendous. The roads had so many potholes. Food was expensive (on Victoria Island) and not particularly good quality. There are some nice bars and clubs though. If you stay in a hotel, expect to pay more but don't expect exceptional quality. Electricity supply varies so it isn't unusual to have a power cut. Apparently the roads have improved since 2007. take lots of jungle formula, don't forget anti-malarials. Try to get someone to drive you around- hire a driver (not much in the way of public transport) and stick with people you know. It can be very dangerous especially at night.

Go to Accra, Ghana instead if you can; much cleaner, friendly people and generally nicer.

I went to Nigeria about 20 years ago. I loved the fact that it was so different from anywhere I had travelled to previously. I was VERY fortunate enough in that I stayed in a 5 star hotel (thanks to a generous friend of mine), but also visited the downtown areas too, I saw the markets and witnessed the odd person begging too, but I also visited upmarket Victoria Island. I found the people friendly and all in all a wonderful experience. In my experience travelling opens your eyes to some wonderful people and cultures....P.S its always useful if you know someone in the country to show you around etc.

In a makeshift back office, Lagos Airport 08:30 Hrs....

45 Degrees. Rain falls & the air is thick & humid

* a ceiling fan chops the air *

"Oh dear, dear Sir, your return ticket to London is very incorrect"

"What, but I flew here with B.A & it says..."

"NO NO Sir, it is wrong , you must pay a fine"

" What fine...OH HOLD ON "

"I must call the Police if you don't pay this fine"

"Ah Ha ..but...( pulls kettle out of bag ) I HAVE A KETTLE "

" Oh a Morphy Richards travel kettle, why did you not say before my friend "

" Well I didn't think..."

"Sadly although your kettle is in order, your luggage is wrong Sir"

" I also have a George Forman Grill ( plonks grill on table ) right here "