Gas and Electricity Suppliers

Sue

Just a heads-up.

Don't know (obviously) if this will happen but energy prices are predicted to be due to rise soon.

If you go via the moneysavingexpert website you can follow a link to SimplySwitch where you can get ?35 worth of Amazon or John Lewis vouchers for changing suppliers via them (they don't charge you anything).

These vouchers are only available from SimplySwitch if you go via the moneysavingexpert link.

I changed to British Gas last October, which was at that time the cheapest option for me, but I'm now changing to an Eon tariff which is a fixed rate to October 2011 and is saving me ?75 a year even if prices don't go up.

There's a ?30 cancellation fee if I leave before that date (which I'd only do if there was a better saving to be had), but that's more than outweighed by the vouchers!

There are other offers from other switching sites (eg a case of Virgin wine) but I had a look at them and the offers seemed more complicated to claim than this one, I couldn't be bothered.

The Eon tariff is rumoured to be only on till the end of this week, so you'll need to be quick.

There was a slightly cheaper option for me, but it had poor customer service ratings, so I didn't want to risk that one. I was with Eon before I changed to British Gas, so I know they're OK.

Hope this is helpful.

Another option is to switch within your supplier (if it happens to pop up amongst the cheapest on a comparison site). I switched from web save 3 with british gas to web saver 7 because it's cheaper but I will get ?50 credit on my account after 6 months because I said I was thinking of leaving.

Sue wrote:- saving me ?75 a year even if prices don't go up.

I have never been able to work out whether I am saving anything or not, as they seem to use different comparisons for working out their charges.

It used to be simple, by cubic feet and how much a cubic foot cost, now I have no idea and that is what they prey on,

our ignorance to fathom their weird pricing structure.

I have both gas and electricity through British Gas, and have no idea whether I am winning or loosing.

Either way it seems you have to change your supplier all too often.

The people at Simply Switch are very helpful (and I have found other similar companies also helpful in the past :)

You can phone them on 0800 011 1395

So far as I'm concerned, provided my monthly direct debits go down I don't care how they are working it out - you can either do a comparison on actual useage or on your monthly charge.

Yes it does seem like you have to keep changing your supplier - I wasn't that bothered when I was earning more, but now I'm not I am :))

• 2 months later...

EBICO beware!

DO NOT USE EBICO!!!! THEY KICKED MY FRONT DOOR IN AND THEN SAID I WAS ON A SOUTHERN ELECTRIC TARRIFF THEY ACCUSED ME OF STEALING ELECTRIC BECAUSE A METER READER REPORTED THAT IT HAD BEEN TAMPERED WITH AND THE FACT I USE VERY LITTLE ELECTRIC!!! IF I WAS STEALING ELECTRIC WHY WOULD I ALLOW THEM TO READ MY METER??? ALSO NOW I AM LOOKING TO CHANGE SUPPLIER FROM THESE LYING CHEATING COWBOYS!!! ALL EBICO ARE IS A SISTER COMPANY OF SED (SOUTHERN ELECTRIC DIRECT) THIS IS A DIRECT BREEACH OF CONTRACT DUE TO THE FACT I WAS NEVER INFORMED OF THIS LINK TO SED BEFORE SIGNING THEREFORE THE CONTRACT IS VOID. DUE TO DICLOSURE OR LACK THERE OF EBICO IS NOT A COMPANY TO DEAL WITH THEY PASS THE BOOK AND TOTALLY DISRESPECT YOU!!!! I AM SORRY I EVER DEALT WITH THEM.. BY THE WAY I DO KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT AS I HAVE WORKED IN THE INDUSTRY I JUST WISH I HAD BEEN AS CAUTIOUS AS SOME OF MY CUSTOMERS BEFORE SIGNING A CONTRACT ....

Just got off the phone after over an hour i was posting while i was on just had a row with sed (southern electric diect) after they had the audasity to question if i could prove i dont spend much time in the property, which i can then in not so many words she hung up and basically called me a liar and a thief??????? Do not trust this company either ebico or southern Electric direct!!!! Pitiful!!!!

I'm with Ebico and I have yet to have my door kicked in. I was fully informed of the fact that Ebico farm out the actual supply when I signed up - it's made pretty clear on the website and all the bills come on Southern letterhead. I believe they aren't a sister company as such, just a reseller of Southern supplies.

Actually, every time I check the comparison sites, I'm in or thereabouts at the best deal so I've not needed to change for a few years. Personally I recommend them. But I say that as someone with a fully intact front door.

I'm new to East Dulwich and am renting a flat which was set up with Southern Electric. I always just pay for what I use on a quarterly basis and was wondering firstly, as a renter, can I change my supplier? and secondly, does anyone who also pays this way know which supplier works out the cheapest? I've tried desperately to find out this info on price comparison sites but it always ends up baffling me.

you can change supplier as long as there is not a clause in your housing agreement, most landlords do not put one in but if they have then it will be there. as long as when you leave your property there is no debt and a note to the new tennants telling them who the supplier is usually is suffice and just curtious.

zeban Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

and

> was wondering firstly, as a renter, can I change

> my supplier?

xxxxxxx

Please spare a thought for the landlord.

I let my house for a while when I was working out of London, and the tenants changed the supplier without telling me.

It caused me all sorts of problems when I moved back.

It would probably be a kind thing to do to discuss this with the landlord before you go ahead.

There are lots of price comparison sites, but I usually find it easier to talk to someone in person as you can discuss all the pros and cons. The sites usually give a phone number, and they're usually free 0800 numbers.

I've moved into a place before and didn't know who the current supplier was so just rang up any of them and they told me who the flat is with by the serial numbers on the meters or something.

I'd never even considered a landlord minding if you change supplier (probably should have) but usually you have to provide proof of final payment when you move out so that would help the next tenants/landlord.