England v Germany

Mick Mac

F*CK 1990, I cried my eyes out in 1970...I couldn't watch it after England were 2-0 up and had to go upstairs. My sister took great delight in coming up and letting me know "Germans have scored 2-1.....Germans Equalised.....etc"

I can't watch that, I can remember it like it was yesterday even though I was 7.....I can also not watch the 2006 Cup Final, where I spent the whole of the second half, extra time and penalties; staring at the concrete floor in the Millenium Stadium

I watched the last 20 mins of that game in the Magdela(the one with the atmosphere, not the current reincarnation).

I was so disinterested I was at B&Q but when I heard West Ham were winning I convinced my wife I could nip out for a pint and watch the last 20 mins. It was absolutley jammed in there that day and I had not thought there were so many West Ham fans in ED, they easily outnumbered the Liverpool fans, and when Gerrard scored it was like someone had died.

There was something special for me about the 70 WC. I remember England v Brazil was on my birthday. I remember England being 2 up and somehow losing with everyone blaming Bonetti. The Kaiser ended up playing with his arm in a sling I think. Most of all I remember the brilliance of Brazil.

1970 was a tough one for me too. We'd been to my eldest sister's for tea and were going to watch the game there. But I wanted to be able to concentrate on the game without all that family chatter in the background so walked back and watched the game alone and ultimately in disbelief. I actually believed in the England team in those days and when they sang "Back Home" it meant something. I need my faith restoring tomorrow.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Quids... I'm a teensy bit emotional after reading

> that

the England or West Ham one? Both were, for me, truly gutting!

I honestly hardly bought a drink in Cardiff that night, we were staying down there and went out with a brave face and scousers were practically queing up to buy us drinks.

???? Wrote:

> Agree with Narnia and others on 1970 though. Back

> at school after the summer playing football

> everyone wanted to be Jharzhino or Pele rather

> than Hurst or Moore.

Bought the Subbuteo team!

???? Wrote:

> I can't watch that, I can remember it like it was

> yesterday even though I was 7...

This is probably the first game I can remember watching on TV with total recall...I was sitting on the arm of 'Dad's chair', which straight away meant it was an important occasion...I also remember going out to the park with my mates and trying to replicate Muller's sidekick winning goal, somehow I don't think I'll be doing that if England let another 2 goal lead slip!