Anyone fancy a game? (of Golf)

JOHNNYtheGOONer

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to London having moved here for work from Yorkshire. I?m living in East Dulwich and I am on the look out for golfing buddies. My handicap at my last club was 6 but I am probably likely to play around the 8-10 handicap mark to begin with as I haven't played much this year but any standard is fine with me. I'd like to play some time this weekend, preferably Saturday, either morning or afternoon. I have a car so I am happy to pick anyone up from the East Dulwich area. If you are interested PM me.

Cheers, Johnny

Strangely enough Lost Yorkshire Man was enquiring about golf some time ago. I don't consider what I do with a golf club to be golf but it might help proper golfers if you mentioned where you were planning on playing.

A Yorkshire Gooner?

Hi Narnia,

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I seem unbale to reply to a thread at home, for some reason the system doesn't like me!

Yeah, I've been a Yorkshire Gunner all my life. My Dad used to go to Highbury as a child with his Dad. Me and all my 3 brothers were instructed to support Arsenal and as kids, he used to take us all down on the train about 3 or 4 times a year! (it's a hard life).

I'm not getting any interest in this thread so I think I will try a different tact, I think there is a Golf Locker room, perhaps I will try my luck in there.

Unfortunatley club comps/matches take up my golf for the next few weekends johnny. I'll be in touch if that changes. You are about the same standard as me so would be good to get a game at some stage, but unfortunaltey with family committments my opportunities for additional golf is limited. Hope you mamage to sort something. Mick.

Hello all,

Well, I managed to get a game this weekend after all. A mate of mine who is a member at Royal Mid Surrey invited me there. We were discussing the possibility of starting a mini golf society to play, maybe once a month, at various courses in South London, for example, Langley Park, Dulwich and Sydenham, Royal Mid Surrey, Richmond, Wimbledon, Addington, Sundridge Park etc. With a few of us we should be able to get a better deal on green fees and the like and it should be quite a sociable thing.

If you would be interested in joining, drop me a line and depending on the interest I will research further. All standards welcome.

By the way, in case any of you are interested, I played rubbish!

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the post.

I recently moved into East Dulwich and am also keen to get back into the game. Played alot as a nipper and got down to ard 8 handicap. Really havnt played regularly for 10 years plus, but knocking it around the 12-14 mark these days. Anyways, as said, am keen to try and play more and like the idea of trying few courses in the south london area (want to eventually look at joining one)

If you fancy hooking up for a game, give me a shout. I have car too.

Cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Johnny,

Sorry for not replying sooner. But just checked the forum for first time in a while. I'm still keen for a game. Watching the open has motivated me somewhat!! I'm around this sunday if you available. You know of any decent south london / surrounding area courses that open to non-members at w/ends?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Johnny,

Regret can't do next w/end as away up north. Can do Sunday 8th August. Langley park looks nice and fairly local. Think I may have caddied there once for a kent PGA event donkeys years ago. Can non-members rock up there on saturdays/sundays? or you know of a member there?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Steve (or anyone else who's interested),

Are you up for a game tomorrow afternoon, green fees tend to be cheaper then although i am happy to play in the morning too. We could play Selsdon park, nr Croydon for ?35 before 3pm, ?15 after. Another possible is Ruxley park,Orpington, only ?10 after 1pm, ?18 between 12 and 1pm.

Let me know, weather looks nice!

Johnny

hi Johnny,

Unfortunately, I'm up north this weekend. Still on for next saturday(if u are), although as said, got to be down tunbridge for bbq that kicks off at 13.30. So could either do uber early start, ie 7.00 ish, which bit hardcore, but could be managable, or maybe 9 holes somewhere ard 9 ish.havnt checked out the courses u mentioned, but will do.austin lodge not bad one either, should be fairly easy to get on. Cheers steve

• 1 month later...

Update

There are now two of us who are looking for a further to 2 to make up a fourball, is there anyone interested? Any newbies to the area maybe?

We have played Selsdon Park, nice course (very good value in the afternoon, only ?10) and High Elms (also very good value in the afternoon) Saturday afternoons look like a good time for us two although Sat morning could be accomodated too.

Hope to hear from you