Mango: friend or foe?

RosieH

This is a ridiculous question. And if I'm being honest (which I often am) it's for work purposes.

But does anyone find the fibre in a mango annoying? I never really have, but I'm being told that people do, and I just really wanted to see if it's true...

love the taste... not so keen on 'dealing with it'... it's a b**ger to get the flesh off the stone

delia make it look so easy! phah... never looks like that when I do it... juice and bits all over the place!

http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/fruit-and-vegetables/how-to-prepare-and-serve-a-mango.html

when it's all of a mess I make this with it.... (specially if they are a bit over ripe cos the lime does the trick!)

Focus group this RosieH, it's the truth.

Mangoes over-promise and under-deliver on taste. The texture's not an issue.

And don't nobody tell me I haven't tasted the real thing because I am personally typing this right now from the Tropics where men in straw hats are bringing me the best mangoes in the world for my approval.

PGC, you are bang out of order on the 'gine and the bean.

Rosie, please, no. Don't focus group anything.

It's surveys like this that lead to ready-mashed potato or top-and-tailed string beans. It would appear the chronically lazy are good at filling in surveys.

Abandon hope all ye who shop here.

But...er...yeah....mangos....pain in the proverbial....buy a peach instead. Mmmm

It's not my favourite fruit but it makes a nice change occasionally. I've eaten a lot of them while in the tropics.

This thread has raised a craving now that will no doubt result in me buying some next time I take a stroll down Rye Lane.

My husband was raised in Papua New Guinea - his Mum used to make all three kids and the Dad get into the empty bath together before serving them peeled mangoes - then hosed them off afterwards ;-)

My daughter and OH now do the same every Sunday...aww.

Mango is fine, provided someone else prepares it for you, in a very small portion.

In fact just one and a half slices, maximum.

And as a refreshing kulfi is welcome.

But if anyone offers you the 'juice', 'nectar' or any other euphimism for the squeezings of the thing, spit in their face.

It's filth plain and simple. Sweet filth at that.

Puts me in mind of the pineapple, the fruit whether fresh, tinned or the flavouring of an iced dessert is superb.

The juice I wouldn't scour my lavatory with.

cate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A mango is very friendly with

> avocado/tomato/onion/coriander and lime juice

> salsa I just made.

Cate - I make a salsa that sounds very similar except that I add a dash of Thai fish sauce to it and then leave it for an hour or so... adds a little kick.

And I love em although I do dislike how messy they are to hedgehog with all the juice dripping

Whoops !!

Currently I'm eating a mango a day..

I used to get em from supermarkets one or two a week but a few weeks ago I saw em for sale in boxes of 6 or so outside the grocers next to the mosque on St where Market is.

They are yummo, they DO need eating sharpish cos they ARE ready, but man they are gooood.

I peel em with a carrot scraper, chop flesh off with a French cooks knife then chew the remainder off the stone as a special (and messy !) treat.

Fave fruit at moment - absolutely NO issue with the fibres, these ones I get far make up for that in taste.

MM

Applespider, the fish sauce sounds a good addition. I put some chopped red chile in mine tonight. I almost bought a box of those mangos from the halal shop last week but they were extremely ripe. Thought they were a bit expensive too. I am going to make a trip to Rye Lane where they will be cheaper hopefully. The last one I bought was an Alphonse from SMBS. ?1.20

I hand peeled mine, the skin came off easily and did the same as KK said - just chopped the flesh on the stone and it fell off. If you don't like the juice then just drain flesh in a strainer.

Having grown up in a country that produces them mangos were an every day fruit and one of my favourites but I have never had one in Britain that wasn?t a disappointment. They are too stringy too hard and have no flavour. Probably something to do with them being picked too early so that they last longer in transit.