Lost Passport abroad

Narnia

Anyone know if you can get back into the country without one? My Mrs has just had her bag stolen in Barcelona including passport. Further complicated by her being Spanish though resident here for many years. She's due to fly back on Monday. Not much chance of that happening now methinks.

Sometimes they can use their discretion at the airport, i have known people prove their ID with a bank card and credible story and be let through, as she has had her bag stolen i am guessing she has no proof of ID of any kind?

If so a visit/phone call to the embassy might be enough? Have you contacted travel insurers?

Do you have a photo copy or scan of the document anywhere? Or the pasport number written down anywhere on any official documentation? this may also prove helpful.

Also contact the airline in case they have her details logged from when she flew out there. They may be able to help.

Good luck

My wife had her passport stolen in Italy last year.

She has a Canadian passport....

It involved a trip from Florence to Rome, a five day wait for relevant checks by the Canadian authorities and about $300 in fees.

But on the up side, she had not been to Rome before and I was able to send her money by Western Union so she had an extended holiday effectively.

Might be easier as an EU national.

Hope you get it sorted.

Get to the police for a crime reference number and speak to the consulate who might be able to sort out an emergency one.

Don't just turn up at the airport. There was a guy a few behind me at the check in queue at Barcelona a couple of years ago who was on the phone to his wife to tell her that he'd had his passport lost/stolen en route to the airport. He hadn't reported it yet or been to the consulate but expected to get on the flight. That was the last time we saw him - he wasn't on board.

sazzle - I often just shown a bank card in lieu of photo ID while flying domestically but I'd be surprised if that worked on international flights, even EU ones.

This exact same thing happened in Barcelona with Mr PR several years ago. A guy approached him in the main square and as his attention was taken someone came from behind and held his arms while the first guy stole his passport.

He went to the police station and the police were sooooo blase as it happens all the time, and clearly as your sad posting proves, still does.

He got a ref number from the police and spoke to someone at the airport and got home fine.

>EU nationals can cross all borders using any form of official photo ID, e.g. drving licence or national ID.

>They don't need a passport.

Only if the country is a member of Schengen and the UK is not:

All EU countries are full Schengen members except for Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland, omania and the United Kingdom. You will therefore need to present a valid passport or ID card to travel to those five countries

Hey Applespider, my housemates sister left her passport in our flat in paris and managed to fly home on the plane as planned. she did have her wallet so she may have had other photo id, but she defo did not have passport.

Hope she gets home ok narnia!

The rules used to be that provided UKBA agreed, the airline would fly you back and the Borders staff would check your identity on arrival. Some - in fact most - consulates could issue an emergency passport (which was an A4 sheet of paper) if needed. Some countries didn't accept this document for transit people, so they are changing.

They are rolling out a new system that will issue an emergency travel document (like an 8 page mini passport) that is valid to complete your trip and get you home. The ability to fly back without any documentation will be removed. All embassies and consulates will have the ability to issue this document.

EU nationals can cross all borders using any form of official photo ID, e.g. drving licence or national ID. They don't need a passport.

That's not true. You need a valid passport or national ID Card. A driving licence won't be accepted.

Narnia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> All is well it seems. As she is Spanish and in

> Spain they have an emergency system whereby she

> can be issued a new passport immediately for 20

> euros.

I should have known. They aren't THAT organised. Faxes from Barcelona to Madrid to London. I phone and Manuel in London can't talk to me about a third party.I've got to sit here all day making comments on threads I know nothing about.

Narnia, this will not help your wife's current situation one iota. However, for future trips - ensure you have a copy of the vital pages of your passport (as well as a copy of your credit cards, any EHIC card, any travel insurance, or any medical prescriptions). Needless to say, it is vital to keep the copies away from the originals. They will save you an awful amount of unnecessary grief should the worse happen in future.

I hope your wife's experience didn't spoil her trip too much.