Who is the greatest lyricist?

Peckhamgatecrasher

hIan Hunter, I know I bang on but I reckon, it's only when he's pegged it that he'll be apprecited for how good he actually is.

Microdisney era Cathal Coughlan, when he was good he was on fire.

Bob Dylan, not everyone's keen, but if you take 'Like a Rolling Stone' and 'Tangled Up In Blue' as benchmarks...

Ray Davis, is there a need to offer examples?

Joe Strummer, on his day, as good as it gets.

Shane McGowan, always a certain poetry amongst the drunk stuff, also knows how to insert sentimentality to maximum effect.

Johnny Rotten or was it Jamie Reid? Never mind.

Holland-Dozier-Holland. I can't help myself, nor should anyone else.

Lennon and or McCartney, when they worked together and when it worked, aah yes, She Loves You, if there is such a thing as pop genius then it is that.t isn't I'll hang on for a while until it shows up.

Looking at you Greil Marcus.

No it's alright Greil, just coddin' you. You're alright.

I think Ian Dury would deseverdly be in here, and what's more would be as sure of his wordsmithery to want to be well upstairs in the top five, if not three. Flash old raspberry that he was.

Gil Scott-Heron, for B-Movie and ReRon, completely out of date, but just lyrically, poetically deft works, that to these ears just don't age. He's done loads of other wonderful pieces, but these are personal favourites, and should be regarded by any right-thinking individual as classics.

Pete Townsend, though he can be as blathery a shitehawk who ever drew breath, when he gets it right, it's so right.

A singles compilation, Who's Next and Quadrphenia and you're getting it as good ever gets.