Cuba

fairyuk24

Went to Varadero in December.

Didn't really leave the hotel complex apart from nipping to Havana.

The hotels are ok, some are huge, we stayed at Hotel Blau, there are always late deals we paid about ?500 for a week all inclusive but you got have had 2 weeks for same price. THe staff expect tips.

The pool area is really nice and they put on nightly entertainment.

With all inclusive its mainly buffet food, and the food in Cuba is not renowned for being very good.

Varadero beach is narrow but has lovely white sand and good weather.

Day trip to Havana was good, again expect to tip the driver, the lady dishing out toilet paper, the band everywhere you go, the serving staff... Its a cool city but can be fairly hectic near the main touristy spots. If you get a good guide you will learn a lot about the cuban way of life and history of the country, which is fascinating.

Take plenty of cash with you and change it at the airport (they will only accept notes in perfect condition), getting more money while over there will result in a ludicrous exchange rate as they convert your cash to US dollars, then charge extra to convert to Convertible Pesos. You will not be able to use any bank card any way connected to the US. Amex etc.

They dont put prices on things so haggle, i got ripped off loads of times, even the woman in the hotel who sold me postcards and stamps ripped me off. i thought it was a bit odd because stuck them on with pritt stick. I posted them in the hotel post box and 6 months later have any of them arrived..... NO. I think she just peels them off and re-sells them.

A bottle of Havana Club will set you back about ?3 which is good. Cigars are about half the price they are here. You are warned not to buy cigars from touts, only from official shops. Most of the people are really really nice. Expect lots of canadians.

On the whole I had a good time but was a little disappointed, I had expected great things. Lots of my friends love Cuba and go regularly but they say it changing so fast. Another friend did an explore group tour and covered a lot more ground, but they ended up sleeping under the stars and trekking up mountains etc which wasnt really her thing.

PM if you have any questions.

Went there 5 years ago. Went to Havana, Cienfuego, Morone, Trinidad, Santa Clara all whilst staying on Cayo Coco. Apart from the food the place was amazing!

It was fooking hot though. Amazing beaches - party atmosphere everywhere (apart from poverty stricken Trinidad in the middle of a very hot day!)

If you go, take lots of nick nacks for the locals / kids etc. It will get you far!

Went several years ago. Did it the easy way and took the Viazul tourist buses around the island - Havana, Trinidad, Camaguey, Santiago de Cuba and even past Guantanimo Bay to Baracoa. Main things I remember:

- Staying in Casa Particulares (private houses). Great way to meet the locals. Very variable in quality. There are networks of these things all over the island: you stay with one and they will have someone they know in the next place you are visiting. Get into a good network. Beware though - the people in the buses sell your name on and other Casa owners will turn up at the station with a card with your name on and tell you that you are booked with them. Find the address and go there yourself.

- There are two entirely separate economies - Peso and hard currency. You will be expected to pay in hard currency, but occasionally you will need pesos. A few pounds worth will be all you need.

- Watch out: a lot of showers have the heating element in the shower head, together with a badly wired 240v cord. I got zapped more than once.

- If you can take a Spanish speaker with you you will be much better off. Not a lot of English spoken outside of Havana and Varadero (this may have changed).

- As ratty said - small trinkets can help a lot. When we were there, soap was in short supply in the Peso economy. (That may have changed, too).

- Go to a baseball game. It's the national sport and they all love it. The whole country stops and crowds around radios on the day of the All Star game.

- Get out of Havana (though have a good look around first) and don't bother with Varadero. Do see the other towns.

- Stay away from black market cigars, unless you can suck a golf ball through a straw.

- Beware the Jineteros! Annoying people who get commission for taking you to bars, etc. The price you pay goes up to pay for them. Often they will walk in front of you and if you look like you are going to enter an establishment, will duck in and claim they are with you.

- Watch yourself in Havana - petty crime is common. Outside Havana is pretty safe, though keep your wits about you.

But do go. Great place!