Boats in Dulwich Park

DulwichFox

On a recent visit to Dulwich Park I note that there are boats back on the lake.

They operate in a limited area and a fee of ?4.00 P.P for 1/2 hour. Which is a bit steep.

They seem to attract 'dads' whilst the small kids are left screaming in terror, wearing the over sized

life-jackets.

I also notice that all the Wild life in that area have gone. Not a Dickie - Bird to be seen.

The ducks and geese were a great favorite with all the kids.

Your comments much welcomed.

DulwichFox

Hi DulwichFox ? glad the account is working out ok ;-)

Funnily enough I noticed exactly the same thing last week ? I saw the boats and then when I saw how much of the lake was out of limits, they may as well be free and I?d not bother. But charging ?4 per person, not even per boat, is beyond cheeky

I can remember when it froze over, the public were allowed to go on the ice, no worries it is only about half a metre deep I have seen it cleaned out and cleared out of all the old leaves and mud then swept clean, there is a slight incline towards the bridge overflow. The pond was filled from a Hydrant near the Boathouse.The dozen boats were stored in winter in the compound near the Gallery Gate turned upside down and watered often.

During the 60's I was a pupil at William Penn North Dulwich.

We made an 8mm film. It was called The Magic Coin.

When it was rubbed, it made things dissappear.

I did the stunt, whilst getting into a row-boat on the lake, the coin was rubbed, the boat dissappeared

and I fell in. There was about a foot of water and 9 inches of mud.

There were no ridiculous Council regs in those days stopping kids from being kids.

Was gonna hire a boat on Saturday but when I saw the prices (would have been ?8 for two adults for 30 mins) and, even worse, the fact that there was nowhere to actually GO in the rowing boat, I canned the idea. It's know not a huge lake but if you're gonna have a row you want to be able to 'stride out' a bit with them oars. IMO they should free-up more space, the birds are clever - they can do stuff like swimming out of the way if your boat gets too close.

• 6 months later...
Hi There!! Really need a bit of help as wanting to surprise my Boyfriend for Valentines day and take him out on rowing boat for romantic picnic, know it will be a bit cold so thought throws, is this possible and if so how do i go about it is there a specific company i can call?? Would REALLY appreciate any advice!! Thanks Lauren x x

Hi There!! Really need a bit of help as wanting to surprise my Boyfriend for Valentines day and take him out on rowing boat for romantic picnic, know it will be a bit cold so thought throws, is this possible and if so how do i go about it is there a specific company i can call?? Would REALLY appreciate any advice!! Thanks Lauren x x

If they never earned money on the boats, they would not be able to upkeep the bowling green.

It does need a special groundsman for the grassed lawn.

But it is a pleasant park,albiet it has gone down hill since the early nineties.

Not so many Rhodedendrams has there used to be.

Tarot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> But it is a pleasant park,albiet it has gone down

> hill since the early nineties.

> Not so many Rhodedendrams has there used to be.

xxxxxxx

If there are fewer Rhododendrons (?) I think that's good - horrid brightly coloured shapeless things :))

I didnt know that Narnia,so I guess you have to be a member to play.

But it is good old tradition kept alive,and if you have to be a member, I,m sure they will take care of the

facilities.

Sadly I have never played, I just thought the boat money was needed for the maintainance.

The boat hire is steep, but I think half an hour is a bit mean,people would be more inclined to hire if it were

an hour.

Well Sue I guess if they were in wild places, they could become a massive nuisance, like I have seen in Wales, where they are trying to control them.

Did you ever see any when you travelled in the exotic places you have seen.

I think they are very colourful and have always taken lots of photographs for my reference,portfollio.

I know lots of famous people are said to have visited the park,it was noted for the rhododendrons,(I think your the one who has got the spelling right,lol)

I heard they have lots of volunteers in the park these days, to help out, but is it true that Time team may be in the locality soon .

Or is that a rumour.