new bike contraflow in Peckham

intexasatthe moment

works to roadway between Smiths and Boots nearly complete.

Road width just big enough for a bus ,what I assume is the bike lane running next to it .

No curb or any clear demarcation between bike lane and pavement .

Bike lane looks like a single bike lane to me ,I've got visions of bike heading north ,overtaking bus by entering bus lane and collision either with bike heading south or an unsuspecting pedestrian.

I know that this scheme has been approved by biking "officials " but it looks as though it fulfills all my 90 year old ,sight impaired ,mum's fears .

What am I missing ?

I was on the 12 this morning, hoping that the new bus lane in SE15 would be open - finally. It looks finished but there is a small area cordoned off by the seemingly ubiquitous Conway plastic fences, surroundng absolutely nothing! I will ring Southwark today to see whether I can get to the bottom of it.

Yeah the bike lane looks totally inappropriate on the pavement. It needs to be painted a bright colour at least because pedestrians will not see it as a bike lane. Why it isn't a seperate lane on the road is mystifying. Pedestrians look for traffic on a road. They don't look for it on a pavement and yes it is too narrow for two bicycles to cross (although I suspect it is on the pavement because of the contraflow). I suspect what will happen is that cyclists will use the road and jump up onto the cycle lane to go round buses only.....not very safe for pedestrians.

I do hope as well they plan to resurface the entire length of Rye Lane....it is undoubtedly the worst Road Surface in the area - especially if you cycle down it.

I can't imagine why any one would bother to use the loop-around cycle track at the end of Rye Lane unless it were constantly monitored and errant cyclists fined for riding on the pavement - it's just too easy to cut straight across.

It's had CCTV for years and cyclists cycle both ways and on the pavement. Basically it was a badly desgined cycle route before and doesn't seem to be any different now. As for biking officials....how many of them were local cyclists who use the route every day like myself? It's not just cycle routes, we are all fed up of so called junction 'improvements' and other roadworks that turn out to be anything but.

Nero ,I thought Southwark were responsible for this revamp .

I read about the plans in the SLP - had seen no local notices etc - and phoned for details about the " consultation " that was being held .

I also asked in library at Peckham if they had details ,which they didn't .

When I finally got through to the people responsible for the consultation they had no idea where the nearest library was and seemed to have zero local knowledge .

They said local houses had received info ,but I know several people living in Elm Grove and the parts of Bellenden and Highshore that close to Rye Lane ,and none of then knew anything about it .

But I know James Barber and Barry Mason both thought plans were good .

I thought it was just me who didn't .

I think we can all agree here that not enough was done to get views from local cyclists. I'm sure Peckham Vision knew about the plans beforehand, they are usually pretty good on that side of things. I noticed today as well that the works to the junction at the Heaton Arms end has taken away the southbound cycle lane that was there before and the road narrowed at the lights. What is the thinking there?

• 3 weeks later...

I used the cycle contraflow today.

What MUPPET and they really are a muppet, thought it was a good idea to have a pavement level cycle lane that is almost the same colour as the rest of the pavement with cycle symbols so small (etched into the paving slabs) that you have to struggle to see even if you are cycling on it. The result? I ran over two pedestrians who stepped onto the cycle lane right in front of me because they DON'T SEE IT'S A CYCLE LANE, and so don't look for cyclists. Thankfully I was only going at walking pace, because I'm sensible enough to see what a stupid lane it is. How long before someone really gets injured?

It needs to be painted green (or some bold colour) so that it's clear that it's a cycle lane.

*runs off to write letter of complaint and raise it at next CC meeting*

I believe it was a parting gift from the former "Peckham Programme" in the council, and whilst they did a consulation (where views were made concerning the design and potnetial dangers) the work still went ahead as is...

I agree there is the need to paint the cycle lane green or blue

A bigger need is to also repair the rest of the road in Rye Lane to make it less like a roller coaster for cyclists

Council Officers, Ya just gotta love them (because you aren't allowed to be nasty to them in case they cry !)

Yeah I was going to raise the surfacing of Rye Lane too...have been nagging them about that for a year now and all they've done is temp fill some of the deeper holes. It is so bad now that it needs to be done - even if it means closing the Lane to traffic for 48 hours.

I'll bring it to the attention of the ward councillors - along with the cycle lane colour, and also the removal of the Cycle Lane at the Heaton Arms end too and see where we get. And will ask for it to be added to the Agenda of a CC meeting.

While we're on the subject of the resurfacing of Rye Lane, it would be good to see those DIY tarmac 'ramps' disappeared. It's all too easy to twist an ankle while running for the bus if you fail to notice some shop keeper has created a kerbside ramp to facilitate deliveries the exact same colour as the road.

Having popped over to Brixton the other day and seen the difference the new Windrush Square has made to the look / feel of the area plus the changes at the Herne Hill junction, it's disappointing to see the Rye Lane makeover has made no appreciable difference.