Inception - thread contains spoilers

missus

I saw Inception yesterday and, I must say, I thought it was an absolute triumph - I can't wait to see it again! Bit of a screen epic at almost 3 hours long but I heartily recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the likes of The Bourne Identity, Shutter Island, Matrix and so on....

...Anyway, was just wondering what anyone else thought of it seeing as there have been such polarised reviews on this particular movie, with some heralding it a masterpiece and others saying that it has been over-hyped....

Anyone seen it yet? Loved it? Hated it?

Absolutely! I feel like 3D is being shoved down the movie-goers throats.... Why?! It doesn't really enhance the movie any more than a really good high definition and....well, 3D gives me a headache..... :S

giggirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>TT - I'm all ears......

legalbeagle Wrote:

> Waiting with baited breath......

You two ladies sound like a real catch with your large ears and dodgy breath....;-)

missus Wrote:

> Absolutely! I feel like 3D is being shoved down

> the movie-goers throats.... Why?! It doesn't

> really enhance the movie any more than a really

> good high definition and....well, 3D gives me a

> headache..... :S

Seconded. I'm definitely in this 12% of people who can't see 3D properly - it makes me feel nausea and vertigo!

Another reason I'm excited about Inception

Saw it tonight and thought it was great- had everything and messes with your head delightfully too. And decent eye candy.Feel like i need to watch it again to properly take everything in though.

I've already been to see it twice since its release on Friday.... 8-)

Although, I think it was more to take in the glow of the wonderul Mr Di Caprio once again. Tom Hardy (Eames) was pretty yummy too! All adds to it being a new personal fav...

• 4 weeks later...

Entertaining, fast-paced action movie ? intricately plotted and exceptionally well directed but the underlying premise is not as original as suggested by the marketing.

Spoiler Alert!

Similar ideas are featured in The Cell (2000) and The Matrix trilogy (1999-2003) whilst many 80s and 90s episodes of Star Trek explore the idea of mind invasion or dream sharing ? too many to mention them all here - but Extreme Measures (Deep Space Nine - first aired on 19 May 1999) is particularly prescient.

HAL9000 Wrote:

> the underlying premise is not as original as suggested by the marketing.

Agreed. It reminded me of in places of Matrix, Strange Days, Waking Life, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, Vanilla Sky, Total Recall, and plenty of others. But... there are far worse films to be reminded of.

Not wishing to spoil it for those who haven?t seen Inception yet, but I thought producer/writer/director Nolan?s spark of genius was in crafting a subtly nebulous plot with a fiendishly enigmatic ending: at the end of the mission, did Cobb really wake up or did he stay in limbo and only dream that he had woken up?

How much of the story line, if any, was real? It is difficult to distinguish between genuine plot holes and intentional misdirection. For example: what would Cobb?s spinning top do if he were dreaming that he was awake ? it should fall over, right?

I agree with you HAL. The various levels of reality weaved together created an original and engrossing plot. Throw in the trauma of Cobb's past relationship and the background to it. AND then casually slip that ending in...very good indeed.

I have the feeling that the ending was designed purely to get the audience to think and question what they had just seen.

I suspect Nolan doesn't actually care what the truth of that moment is....he's more interested in us exercising our minds a little. Job done I think after looking at the hundreds of theories and counter theories already out there on the net.

A very fine piece of film.

p.s. i'm not a DiCaprio fan but he did a really good job in this.

That's a good question. I saw it with three friends. I'm fairly sure that I had grasped most of its intricacies on first viewing but when discussing it with the others afterwards it became clear (to me, at least) that their understanding was fairly superficial - all three had missed the principal paradoxes and one hadn't a clue what the movie was actually about. We all enjoyed it, though, and everyone was satisfied with his or her personal perception of it.

I would guess that someone who finds it difficult to piece together a story that unfolds through a series of flashbacks interlaced with real time might have difficulty following Inception's multi-layered plot.

Its structure is far more complex than that of the Matrix - Inception has wheels within wheels featuring both spatial and temporal displacements along with what - to me - seems like a deliberate vagueness that invites the viewer?s imagination to fill in the gaps.

Like every masterpiece, it is capable of supporting many interpretations on many different levels. I?d say go for it.

Saw this on Saturday and thought it was absolutely brilliant. One of the best movies I've ever seen.

Great idea, great script, well directed, excellent acting, fab is it/isn't it ending.

Need to see it again though to pick up all the nuances! And I'd really like to read the script.

Always interesting to see movies about the nature of reality, and I thought this was better than The Matrix.

Saw this at the IMAX last night. It's worth making the effort to see it on the big big big screen for the wow factor. At the beginnong of the second dream within a dream I lost the plot and the will to live. I think I was thinking too hard because when I gave up on it I think I understood it more.